$5000 aurora ALX bsod every minutes. Help ?

cemong

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2012
Hello,
Hi guys ,

I recently decide to upgrade my one year old aurora with newer graphics card (gigabyte GTX 590) and 24 GB corsair vengeance RAM.
Did a clean install windows, update all the newest driver from dell support website as well. Mobo Bios is AO11.
But somehow someway i got a BSOD so often. Even when i run stock, it still got a BSOD . all with the same code. (124).
Don't bother with overclock, i tried OC the cpu VERY light, 3.2 to 3.33 , and got a BSOD. Tried run stock , still BSOD. Its so random and happens 1-2 times every hour. My PSU is 875 watt standard from dell. Motherboard is 4VWF2 . is the motherboard died ? or the PSU ?

I tried switching all the new part (card and memory) to my friends build and it works totally fine .(gigabyte x58 UD3r motherboard). So the card and memory should be fine.

Also, i ran Dell diagnostics full scan and no errors.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Many Thanks.

inanition02

Distinguished
Try running MemTest for a few hours and see what happens. Alternatively, put you old parts back in and see if you have the same issues (all of your old parts).

Also - are you running the GPU driver from Dell's site or nVidia? You should get the lastest nVidia drivers directly from their site.

G

What are your ram settings? Set them to 1333mhz.
The instability may be because all the ram slots are occupied meaning which may cuase more instability.

cemong

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2012
i put all the new upgrade parts to my old build board, gigabyte x58 UD3r , both the cpu ram and graph cards, everything works perfect no bsod , prime95 no errors, even when oc'd to 3.8.
but when i put the parts back to alienware mobo , ...BSOD every minute...
im using the latest nvidia drive from nvidia site though. should i use the one from alienware ? its kinda old though.

thanks

G

I'm pretty sure its the ram. But try putting the ram only in first, than graphics card only. See which one makes it unstable.

Edit: I'm not saying the actual ram is the problem. I'm saying that the ram is good but that it may be causing the mobo to fail.

inanition02

Distinguished
And then try the RAM one stick at a time and all combinations. I had an old asus mobo that would be very unstable if and only if slot 3 was populated with sticks in the other three slots also. If you left slot 3 empty or filled slot 3 but not the other slots, it was rock stable.

Dell Aurora ALX manual - http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/Alw_dt_Aurora/en/dm/manual_en.pdf

Hmm...Dell PSU + GTX 590?!

Assuming Corsair Vengeance DDR3-1600 9-9-9-24-2T @ 1.50v:

BIOS:
DDR3 Memory Voltage -> 1.55v~1.60v ; or +0.05v~+0.10v
QPI and Uncore Voltage -> 1.20v ; or +0.10v
Memory Ratio -> 12 ; 12 * 133.33MHz BCLK = 1600MHz <or> DDR3-1600MHz
Memory-Z / Advanced Memory Settings
tCL -> 9
tRCD -> 9
tRP -> 9
tRAS -> 24
1T/2T Timing -> 2T

Save & Exit = Yes

Often 6XDIMM slot requires a little additional voltage. Some MOBO's have 'Memory Configuration Protect' which needs to be Enabled to access 24GB on X58's.

Other BSOD's see Event Manager [+] Critical errors:
Event_Manager.jpg

cemong

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2012
I'm pretty sure its the ram. But try putting the ram only in first, than graphics card only. See which one makes it unstable.

Edit: I'm not saying the actual ram is the problem. I'm saying that the ram is good but that it may be causing the mobo to fail.

strange, when the ram installed on my gigabyte board it doesnt require any more settings though. i just change the bclk and mlplier thats it.

with the alienware mobo , even when run stock i got random bsod , last time was browsing...:(

cemong

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2012
Will do it tomorrow, im buying another hard disk couse the one i got is inside my old build and i dont want to reformat it just to found out the aurora still has bsod( worst case scenario)...
Oh btw, can i use my external hd to install os ?

If the external HDD has an image (clone) then it can be done, but on a fresh install I'd use either a USB install or DVD install.

Before reformatting try MSCONFIG -> Diagnostic and boot; if the BSOD disappears then yeah I'd look at Windows otherwise it's probably not an OS issue.

cemong

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2012
ok just did a clean install windows, bsod right when the bios screen pops out.
Then I restart, only to found out bsod once booting from cd.
I decide to open the left panel, put the alx on the desk with position tilted 90 degrees (horizontal). Surprisingly no bsod for almost 5 hours..but when I put the desktop to its original vertical position, won't last for 5 seconds before bsod. Is this becouse the hdd ?
I changed the original hdd to western digital 1 tb hdd though. Could it be becouse of this ?

If the PC works on its side and fails upright this sounds more like a 'shorting' issue more than anything else. A simple test to eliminate both standoff and I/O (most common places to short), unscrew the MOBO and PCI screws, pull the MOBO away from anything conductive and supported by a towel then test.

IMO - you're tracking down a short.

cemong

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2012

allright , turns out the shutdowns and bsod are from my melting cpu..
somehow the corsair H60 didnt spin its fans at all...i realize it when i smell something fried. then
saw the h60 cpu block somewhat cracked and left opened.
i cleaned the thermal paste and re apply it , this time i use the stock intel heatsink..
so far 6 hours gaming and no problem..phew...Thanks guys.

Yeah an overheating CPU fan will do it. Further, on any 'pump' HSF connected to the CPU_FAN header in the BIOS the fan must be set to operate at 100% and not per the CPU temp (variable); it's bad for the pump and your temps. If the H60 is bad it should be under warranty and if not either the H80 or H100; keep in mind Corsair doesn't manufacturer the hydro series, but their a good company to deal with if there's a problem.