Do i need discrete graphics

scott2t

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2010
Hello,
buying a laptop....
will the extra expense of dedicated graphics be worthwhile if the primary task hdmi video streaming to hdtv?
thanks in advance

g00fysmiley

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2010
while video streaming in 1080p is nto a hugely demanding task there are very few onboard solutions een in desktops that can meet this demand. there are a few onboard chips that will fit the bill however as you haven't provided a make and model laptop we'll have to assume that it is not one of them. a dedicated graphics card will help this and even a low power dedicated graphics card would be able to handle high def playback

curious are you lookign at laptops becuase you want a laptop and this is a function you want , or is being an htpc the primary use of this machine?

Laptops are tricky. Without knowing the exact specs, it's hard to presume whether it'll work without a dedicated GPU. Integrated GPUs rely quite a bit on system resources (RAM & CPU). So a low budget laptop with a lower end processor probably won't do that well.

Many laptops these days have the Intel HD graphics accelerator in them, which is horrible for anything beyond internet/email. The dedicated graphics cards generally offered on laptops less than $600 are usually not very good either, but are still a lot better than the integrated Intel stuff. Therefore, it would still serve you better if you're trying to stream or edit or view HD content.

scott2t

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2010
We want a laptop so we will be doing other things, but one primary task will be the hdmi streaming to hdtv. I have been shopping a while and I like the new dell xps 15 or the hp envy 15, but a little high priced. the alternatives are the dell 15R and 14R and the HP Pavilion. Any recommendations on these or others. I like asus too....

As far as chips go I want an i5, but i3 is more affordable so as you can see the GPU is my sticking point. But after you good advice I am definitely going for the dedicated graphics. So now just looking for a good/affordable cpu/gpu combo.

Thanks a lot for your help.