Z68 Chipset

Status
Not open for further replies.

AndrewK1

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2012
Hello,

I am planning on making my first custom build in the near future. Pardon me if my terminology is incorrect as I'm fairly new to the computer world. I'm planning on using a i5-2500K CPU. The Intel website says that the Z68 Chipset works very well with the Sandy Bridge technology. Is that the most optimal chipset for Sandy Bridge or is there a better one?

Solution
Yes it is great for the Sandy Bridge. It is developed by Intel as well.

What is the Intel Z68 chipset?

Manufacturer Intel

When Intel’s Sandy Bridge range of LGA1155 Core CPUs launched, you had to choose whether you wanted to overclock the CPU or use its integrated Processor Graphics unit (PG) – either you bought a P67 motherboard and overclocked the CPU, or you bought an H67 motherboard and made a more modest PC. However, for months there has been a mythical third option; one that would let you overclock the CPU while enabling its integrated PG: the Z68 chipset.

The benefits of Z68 initially sounded pretty niche – it would be ideal for a PC that sees plenty of work but no gaming (beyond Flash-based games and casual fare). However...
Yes it is great for the Sandy Bridge. It is developed by Intel as well.

What is the Intel Z68 chipset?

Manufacturer Intel

When Intel’s Sandy Bridge range of LGA1155 Core CPUs launched, you had to choose whether you wanted to overclock the CPU or use its integrated Processor Graphics unit (PG) – either you bought a P67 motherboard and overclocked the CPU, or you bought an H67 motherboard and made a more modest PC. However, for months there has been a mythical third option; one that would let you overclock the CPU while enabling its integrated PG: the Z68 chipset.

The benefits of Z68 initially sounded pretty niche – it would be ideal for a PC that sees plenty of work but no gaming (beyond Flash-based games and casual fare). However, in the build up to its launch, motherboard manufacturers started to talk about what they could do with a chipset that could see the PG and know how to overclock: hybrid graphics.
--
http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/motherboards/2011/05/13/what-is-the-intel-z68-chipset/1

Solution
Another great read...

Intel Z68 Review - The Sandy Bridge Platform Expands

Intel’s motherboard partners have adopted this chipset with varying degrees of enthusiasm since many seem to be worried Z68 will cut into their P67 sales. Nonetheless, there will be a wide range of products available at launch; many of which should be highly affordable for anyone who didn’t jump onto the P67 bandwagon.

ASUS is putting a lot of emphasis on their P8Z68V-PRO which they feel offers an excellent combination of value and high end features. We have a full review of it here. Meanwhile, the Gigabyte Z68A-UD3H may boast a low price but its inclusion of USB 3.0, SATA6 and SLI / Crossfire compatibility could make it a real dark horse in the current market. Another board we have on tap for this review is the Gigabyte Z68A-UD5; an upscale product that bewilderingly discards ability to activate the IGP for GPU switching.
--
http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/hardware-canucks-reviews/43205-intel-z68-review-sandy-bridge-platform-expands.html

Status
Not open for further replies.