Sign in with
Your question
Solved

First time computer build. What do you think?

Last response: in Systems
February 12, 2011 11:33:25 PM

This is My first computer build, EVER. I mean it, I NEVER NEVER built one before.
After alot of research here's what I plan on building. NOTE: I will not be overclocking.
Tell me what you think and what problems you see. Is this gonna work or will I have problems with Drivers and Bios?
The build itself doesn't scare me as much as the thought of spending all this money and not getting the F#@$ing thing working due to Drivers and/or bios issues. Or any incompatiblity issues. I dont want to get into these things. Im hoping for a total plug and play build.

OK here's the setup..........By the way, I will be using this computer for Email, Internet, Speadsheats, Home video editing, Photo editing and Music recording. Basic stuff I think.

Motherbaord -- Asus P6X58D-E
CPU -- Intel i7 950
Ram -- Corsair XMS3 CMX6GX3M3A1600C9 (2 sets of 6 Gig.) 12Gig. total.
Power supply -- Corsair TX750W
HDD -- Two(2) 1TB Western Digital WD1002FAEX (7200rpm, SATA 6Gbs, 64MB buffer)
Case -- Cooler Master HAF 932 Full tower.
Optic Drive -- Two(2) Asus DRW-24B1ST DVD Burner (DVD+/- 24X)
Video card -- XFX Radeon HD 5770 OR Nvidia GTX460 (not sure which one yet)

OK, What do ya think? Is it gonna fly or sink?
Or should I just get a DELL XPS 9100 (i7 930, 12G ram, Radeon Hd 5770, 1 TB Hdd) and call it a day.

Thanks for any input.

Hammerjammer

More about : time computer build

Best solution

February 13, 2011 12:03:20 AM

I think you should put the build on hold until the "re-release" of Sandy Bridge and build on the i5 2500.

With your current setup, and if you are not looking to get a high-end video card, you can safely drop down to a ~500W PSU.

That is an awfully big case for what you need, but if you got the money and are prepared to keep it clean as it has no dust filters, then go for it.

I would go for the nVidia card if you are using any media editing applications that can take advantage of the CUDA cores.

Also, I do not see an OS in the list, is that an oversight or do you already have that covered?
February 13, 2011 2:01:43 AM

AMD GET AMD!!
And stay with ATI!!
m
l
Related resources
February 13, 2011 2:53:33 AM

AGPC said:
AMD GET AMD!!
And stay with ATI!!

Better yet when spam someones thread on this forum with post like that...at least post some benchmarks to show the OP why he/she should go with AMD/ATI. Otherwise your just sucking up this sites bandwidth with drivel.
m
l
February 13, 2011 2:58:53 AM

^ Lawl
Well the time when BD releases I'd be likez AMD/ATI!!!! If the benchmarks look good. But ATM, Intel/AMD or Intel/Nvidia is a better option. (ATI doesn't exist anymore)

Look into my guides for personal reviews of the products. I would look into the i5 2500K/i7 2600K and specifically the Asrock Extreme4 motherboard. That'd amount to a 370$ upgrade, and a great one at that. 2500K/2600K can OC to 4.6ghz on stock cooler and 5.1ghz with the Extreme4 w/ Bios revision.
m
l
February 13, 2011 3:08:26 AM

Your better off with 3x4gigs...this way you don't use up all the RAM slots and you don't have as much heat being created.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... $169.99 FREE SHIPPING
G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 12GB (3 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL9T-12GBR

Since this isn't a gaming build and you don't plan on using dual vid cards...really no sense at all going with a 750w psu. This psu is most likely more than you will ever need...but it's a good deal on a quality modular psu.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... $89.99
SeaSonic M12II 620 Bronze 620W ATX12V V2.3 / EPS 12V V2.91 SLI Ready 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Modular Active PFC Power Supply

A gtx 460 is great if you plan on gaming, otherwise take a look at this vid card down below. Runs cool, and doesn't use up a lot of power.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... $129.99 - 109.99 after mail-in rebate FREE SHIPPING
PNY VCGGTS4501XPB GeForce GTS 450 (Fermi) 1GB 128-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card

m
l
February 13, 2011 11:28:56 AM

lothdk said:
I think you should put the build on hold until the "re-release" of Sandy Bridge and build on the i5 2500.

With your current setup, and if you are not looking to get a high-end video card, you can safely drop down to a ~500W PSU.

That is an awfully big case for what you need, but if you got the money and are prepared to keep it clean as it has no dust filters, then go for it.

I would go for the nVidia card if you are using any media editing applications that can take advantage of the CUDA cores.

Also, I do not see an OS in the list, is that an oversight or do you already have that covered?

I was very close to buying the new Sandy bridge i7 2600 when I saw the P67 and H67 chipsets were recalled. I need a computer now since my current computer is 9 years old and closes "Power director 9 64BIT" when I try and edit video. I really dont want to wait because I read that we wont see any fixes for the bad chipsets till the end of May.

thanks so much for your help.
My case choice is based mostly on the fact that it looks so cool. :)  I see what you mean about the dust. It does seam that would be a pain in the butt. Also, the dust will make thinks run hotter as they will not allow air to cool them off as well.
And with a lower wattage PSU and video card It will save me some money. Thanks. :sweat: 
As for my OS I will be using Windows 7 Home Premium .

Thanks
Hammerjammer
m
l
February 19, 2011 11:41:56 PM

Best answer selected by hammerjammer.
m
l
!