Seek PC Timer card to power system on and off

young707

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2011
I am seeking a PC Timer Card.
So that the programmable timer can turn the PC power on at certain time, and turn the power off at an hour or sometime later.

This is very much like the plug in power line timer to switch the lamp on and off at pre-programmed schedule.

Or, PC can power on when there is power switched on, and it can programmed to turn itself off at pre-programmed time later.

Solution
Are you sure you want to completly shut down? Is sleep not good enough? Task manager can be set to wake from sleep, but not turn on from a shutdown, only the BIOS could do that. You would have to check the manuals for the motherboard to see if that option is included or not.

To use task scheduler to get your computer to sleep, you'll have to make a batch file with the following command line in it :

rundll32.exe powrprof.dll,SetSuspendState

if you want, you can have the batch file add extra time before going to sleep, like so :

timeout /t 1200 /nobreak
rundll32.exe powrprof.dll,SetSuspendState 0,1,0

where 1200 is 1200 seconds, after running the batch file the computer will sleep.

Then use task manager to run the batch file at a...

young707

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2011
Thanks. How can I find out which computer BIOS can wake themselves at set time?

What program do I use in Windows? Is this Task Scheduler in Windows you are talking about? But I do not see where I can turn system on or off?

Richard_nixon

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2010
Are you sure you want to completly shut down? Is sleep not good enough? Task manager can be set to wake from sleep, but not turn on from a shutdown, only the BIOS could do that. You would have to check the manuals for the motherboard to see if that option is included or not.

To use task scheduler to get your computer to sleep, you'll have to make a batch file with the following command line in it :

rundll32.exe powrprof.dll,SetSuspendState

if you want, you can have the batch file add extra time before going to sleep, like so :

timeout /t 1200 /nobreak
rundll32.exe powrprof.dll,SetSuspendState 0,1,0

where 1200 is 1200 seconds, after running the batch file the computer will sleep.

Then use task manager to run the batch file at a specifed time. If you use the one with the timer line in it, you can set it to go to sleep one hour after starting, if you run the batch file at startup. Just put the batch file in your startup folder.

If you want it to shutdown, use this line:

shutdown -f -s

you can add the "timeout" line from above, to this command too.

Solution

young707

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2011
You are right, may be just let the computer to go to sleep, or hibernate will do.

Can I use PC Task Manager to wake up and run some program, then, go back to sleep after an hour when these program are completed?