Extremely Cheap Build - Help needed

Steffwiz

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2009
Looking for some advice on a new build I'm putting together for a friend. He has a very low budget for me. He doesn't need a monitor.

He's going to be using the computer for web browsing, picture viewing/sharing, video viewing/sharing and mild if any picture/video editing. He also wants to be able to burn CDs/DVDs when he needs to. He will be using iTunes for his music collection and the iPod's that sync with his computer. He will use Chrome as his web browser. I want to build this as cheap as possible, but I also want him to be able to do everything he needs to do without any sluggishness.. He won't need any antivirus software after I talk to him about how to avoid viruses. He will have very little other software on there as well. My ultimate goal is to build a very fast, responsive system that can also do everything he needs it to do.

I'm fairly confident he won't need a graphics card. Other than video editing, the actual usage of it will be minimal. He is not going to be playing games. If I can afford a cheap one just to take the stress off the CPU I will.

I'm going AMD for this build, there's no way I could stay under budget if I didn't. From what I know of what he needs, I was going to get him a dual-core CPU. I didn't think shelling out more money for a lower-clocked quad-core would be cost-effective or useful for him. But, I'm no expert. :)

Any help and advice is extremely useful! I just need CPU/motherboard combinations, really. The rest is pretty simple. If anyone wants to suggest something else that would be very nice as well! Also PSU, and HDD space (I'm going WD, without question) would be nice if suggested. :)

Thanks! (I'm not mentioning a max in the budget, because I know he will say yes no matter how far I go above if I tell him to, but he offered $250. I told him to expect around $300-$350. Again, that's just a rough approximation.)

Solution
If Microcenter is an option

X4 640 +Biostar A780L3G $96
http://www.microcenter.com/specials/promotions/AMDbundlePROMO.html

Items off Egg $162
Untitled-2271.jpg

$258 total

Steffwiz

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2009
Okay. Just ordered all the parts. MicroCenter was not an option. (I had to order everything from one site. Newegg.)

Here's the final build. (Let me know if you have any comments/suggestions/problems!)

Optical Drive(s):
ASUS 24X Black SATA Burner with LightScribe
The one suggested was good, yeah, but for a little more he can have Lightscribe.
Price - $18.99

Power Supply:
Antec EA-380D 380W ATX12V v2.3/EPS12V
Love this power supply..
Price - $39.99

Processor:
AMD Phenom II X2 565 @3.4GHz Dual-core
I was initially going to get the Athlon II X4 640 @3.0GHz Quad-core, but due to stock I decided (and probably should have in the first place) to get this. A dual-core is probably more suited for his uses anyway, and it has L3 cache and a much higher clock.
Price - $109.99

Motherboard:
BIOSTAR A780L3L AM3 AMD 760G Micro ATX (Open Box)
Very similar to the one suggested, but much cheaper, because it's an open box.
Price - $37.99

Hard Drive(s):
Seagate 1TB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s
He needed a lot of space for all his pictures, songs, and videos. This should give him plenty. Just hoping it doesn't arrive DoA (UPS..)
Price - $64.99

Case:
Cooler Master Centurion 5 ATX Mid Tower
It has to look nice. I chose this over another Cooler Master case I was looking at. I didn't want a built-in power supply. That's never a good idea.
Price - $48.98

Memory:
PNY Optima 4GB (2 x 2GB) DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666)
I didn't want to put 2GBs in this system. It's going to be running Windows 7 Home Premium x64, and even with mild video editing, I wanted to make sure he had plenty of RAM.
Price - $41.99

He will be buying a new monitor, internal wireless card, and a card reader (most likely) later. This was just the initial build. He already has a mouse, keyboard, and a set of speakers.

Subtotal - $362.92
Tax - $29.94
Shipping (UPS) - $18.69
Total - $411.55
Total (after rebates) - $401.55

Edit: More information, spelling mistakes, and aesthetics :)

Steffwiz

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2009

I don't need a 600w power supply, and the case is a little extreme for where it will be.. I will definitely be returning the power supply. I really like the Antec Earthwatts 380w.