My wife's homebuilt PC (18 months old) started having an odd problems last night. OS is windows 7 Home. Everything was fine until last night. No new programs installed, no new devices, just regular PC like everyday.
Here are the symptoms:
- OS is turned off, PC shuts down.
- Case lights and fans remain powered. So does the CD drive.
- Power button does not restart the PC
- Power button pressed in 4 seconds will not stop the fans or lights. It seems to have no effect.
- Only solution is to turn the Power supply off directly at the back of the PC
- As soon as I turn the switch on, the fans and the lights come straight back. This is before even pushing the power button.
- If I press the power button, the PC boots up no problem.
- If windows goes into sleep mode after not being used for a while OR if I put it into sleep mode on purpose, nothing makes the OS come back. I tried touching keys, using the mouse, pressing the power button, holding the power button....Nothing.
- Fans & lights remain on. CD drive remains active.
- Only solution is by using the switch on the power supply.
- When I put the power back on through the power switch, same effect as in problem 1) except that Windows resumes instead of simply rebooting.
- No ill effects.
PC seems to be running fine. Haven't tried any games.
I did take the whole PC apart and everything looked fine. The only thing changed was that it was less dusty
It seems too strange for it to be software related but I could be wrong. I have Norton 360 4.0 installed and updated.
My feeling is that this is the motherboard acting weird and dying but I am no expert.
Any advise I can receive would be great. The problem is highly annoying but the computer is still running fine.