Distinguished
Jan 11, 2012
Quick rundown of set up:
Mobo: BIOSTAR MCP6PBM2+ N68S
CPU: AMD Athlon 9100e -have a new AMD II X4 960T i will be trying to install
PSU: 650W Thermltake
4GB DDR2 RAM
Stock 640GB Harddrive

I installed new mobo and get everything to come up. Something that came to my attention says DDR2 800Ungaged mode, 2 x 64-bit. (Not sure what that means exactly)

Also at the bottom if gives me 3 prompts;
F8 to enable system config -pressing this does nothing
F9 to select booting device after POST -pushing does nothing
F1 to continue, DEL to enter SETUP

Pressing DEL takes me into the bios set-up utility.

F1 to continue goes ioto a hardware utility. Then I get a windows recovery error. Ive tried launching with pc set up repair(recommended) that does fix. Then windows loads files and it goes to boot up and I come to a blue screen.

Goes into how i may have issues with new hardware if this is first time seen restart machine. Ive tried that several times.

Im not sure if this is a hardware issue or software. Im wondering if i should reinstall os or if there is something in the BIOS utility I can change or if anyone has some ideas/tips?

larkspur

Distinguished
You installed a new motherboard with the same copy of windows that was installed with your old motherboard. As such, your copy of Windows is trying to load and use drivers that are only applicable to the old motherboard.

Press the F8 key repeatedly when you turn on your computer. This will bring you to the Windows Advanced Startup options screen. Select "Safe Mode" (all by itself). Hopefully your system will boot successfully in safe mode. At that point you can try installing your new motherboard's drivers.

Whether that works out for you I'm not sure, many people choose a fresh install with a new motherboard. But understand that an OEM license of Windows generally does not allow a motherboard change. It still works for some people, though a phone call is sometimes necessary. Either way, Windows activation isn't causing your blue screens, it's the new motherboard with the old drivers.

scorchmuffin

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2012
Ill give that a shot thanks. I also have a version of windows 7 so I could do a reinstall to a new OS so I guess ill go ahead and do that. Seems to be the best option and should just solve my problems. Just wanted to avoid a new install

Thanks for help

larkspur

Distinguished

Yeah a new install is a good idea especially if you were planning it anyway. Until you re-install, the data on your HDD should be fine - you can back it up by plugging it into another computer or installing win 7 on a different volume in the same computer.

etudiant

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2012

Larkspur is so right!
Throw $120 at Newegg for a 120gig SSD to act as your system drive, you will never look back.
The difference it makes to launch speeds is just a transformation.
Rebooting is again quick and easy, rather than a coffee break interval.