Random CPU usage without anything

nxtstep

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2011
hey guys... so i had a few problems before and i got that taken care of... recently got a fresh install of windows 7 pro on my system and after a recent windows update i have been noticing my CPU usage jumping around without me doing anything....

i checked the taskmanager and there is nothing in there that is hogging up any CPU or real ram or any sort. i just see my cores jumping around.... was wondering if this is normal since i didnt see this before at all.. at idle my system would be at like 2-3% cpu usage if that... now it goes from 7-15% and more too.

system specs are as follows: asus p8p67.. i7-2600k...16gb ddr3 1600 corsair ram.. 1tb 7200rpm WD ..2 tb 5900 green drive WD... gtx570 SC.... windows is loaded on 1tb drive...

oh also sometimes when i boot up my system the windows login screen tends to stay black for a while..or if i wait and just type pw and hit enter it will take me into windows 7..

any help would be great.. thanks guys

G

Your CPU is never at 0% load, that's why people say IDLE rather than 0%.

How can you say NOTHING is running?

Windows is running!

2-15% is normal but considering that you have *** 2600k, do *** full system virus scan, otherwise it's completely normal.

nxtstep

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2011
ok i just ran pprevx 3.0 which im not trying to promote and have nothing to do with them but honestly its by far the best malware software around.. it did find 1 thing and removed it.... see my concern is when im looking at CPU USAGE widget and im not using any other apps only windows up and running... i see random spiking of different cores.. so just wanted to know if thats normal or not.

thanks for the tips once i get it figured out ill mark best answer.

G

If it's less than 5% it's normal, anyways, for anti spyware use spybot search and destroy, and the best antivirus in terms of detection rate is avira free edition, I've been using both for 4 years and clean.

ghnader hsmithot

Distinguished

You could also clean your registry with Ccleaner the registry can sometimes get clogged up and the cpu would need to get more work done.You could also defrag your hdd.

G

Yep, I forgot about the registry, I also us ccleaner, also try advanced systemcare, a big con of windows is that you need a ton of maintenance software to keep your system good and clean

kfitzenreiter

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2009
There is avast free version and microsoft security essentials. You can also download ad-aware for spyware.

There are many free programs that will help find and prevent malware. Also, make sure you use a firewall.

Considering all the services running in the background, up to 10% can be chalked up to the system itself. 15% is less believeable though...

Could be anything, from drivers, to indexing, to virus scans, etc. Task Manager listing any process in particular as eating up CPU time?

calibrah

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2009
What about 25-30% cpu usage on idle without any programs reporting cpu usage in the task manager? Thats a problem with my laptops bios i think. It makes my games lag on my dual core.

synthaside

Distinguished
May 2, 2011
don't mind me ... being stupid , and playing of amd's joke

One of the many reasons you can see your cores spiking at random intervals especially when running multi threaded tasks is your Os scheduling algo spreading the load of your system there is always " something going on " program's waiting for I-O coming and going from block or zombie etc as long as you aren't having performance problems in other ways the occasional spike isn't a bad thing this can also be attributed to the reads off your HDD or if you havent turned off indexing

Also with i really hope your doing some cool shizzle with those spec's not just for lots of headroom at idle / manhood measuring , i7-2600k...16gb ddr3 is lots n lots

synthaside

Distinguished
May 2, 2011
cali , what sort of spec's is your lappie , and have you checked what background processes are running ?

when running games on mid range laptops using something http://enditall.en.softonic.com/ to close all of the background stuff and boost your performance is a big benefit
make sure you know what your closing first though ;-) .. an end all rather than kill all is preferable

Golden rule if you're not sure what it does dont kill it

nxtstep

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2011

That was the first thing i checked. Temp NEVER gets over 37degrees even when i push the processor hard. Seems to have got better after windows update.

beno

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2010

meaning that lot of problems like lags , black screen ,... etc could happen in games due to high temp of CPU ?

G

You can run at full load for a day without overheating, I suggest you simply run the task manager and find out everything that you don't need. Download CCleaner and use it to clean you registry and disable unwanted software.

beno

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2010
You can run at full load for a day without overheating, I suggest you simply run the task manager and find out everything that you don't need. Download CCleaner and use it to clean you registry and disable unwanted software.

I really don't like these registry cleaners because they usually delete registries of some software that i am using :sarcastic:
And for the task manager its Okay i do this all the time , but when i check "Show processes from all users" i just get lost :D