12v slot burnt and some capacitors

MiervaFy

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2012
OK so, even when the mobo is still working, it has like 3 capacitors near the processor slot bloated and one near the pci slots in the same condition, I don't know If this is cause poor cooling, unstable voltage coming from the outlet, or bad quality PSU, I have this pc since 2004 and have suffered so many times that I'm surprised how long has lasted... just a shame 2 video cards died with it, one with artifacts and the other 6 bad capacitors and even when those were replaced, the video card stopped working after some weeks of use with new capacitors.

Also, the motherboard does not accept any new legacy pci or AGP video card, I've tested many and no video from any slot, I wonder if this is cause of the bad capacitors in the mobo... still usb and network pci cards work...

Well Take a look to this... I just want to know what's the cause because, I just ordered parts for a new pc FINALLY, and I don't want this to happen again.

p1110459.jpg

yes it's dusty :p I did a good clean that day
p1110465.jpg

the two yellow wires are also burnt, i tried to clean them the best i could trying not to break them

CPU is a Pentium 4 3.0 HT 478 prescott
Mobo Intel 865GLC
PSU 800W some generic brand, but looks like a those black corsair with big fans.
the CPU cooler is a thermaltake beetle, and still the CPU have always got past 50º C when idle, i had to put 2 fans to help it cool till finally i made it go down to 47ºC idle

Thanks!

That old motherboard has a mix of solid polymer and conventional electrolytic capacitors.

The melted connector is the 4-pin ATX12V CPU power connector. I can see that happening if the connector has oxidized creating resistance which will heat up and melt the connector when a high current draw is demanded like that from a Prescott processor.