? about "reconditioned" cameras

Last response: in Digital Camera
February 2, 2005 7:34:38 PM

I looked on eBay for a specific camera (Dimage A200). It seems that about 40%
of those for sale are reconditioned. Where do all these reconditioned cameras
come from. Are they

(1) Returns where the consumer wasn't happy with the product (and will I be?)
(2) Defective returns (and how do I know they actually fixed the problem)
(3) Demo's (R there that many demo cameras)
(4) other??

How close to "new" are these cameras. I think I'd rather shell out the extra
$100 or so for a new camera.

More about : reconditioned cameras

Anonymous
February 2, 2005 7:34:39 PM

On Wed, 2 Feb 2005 08:47:32 -0800, "Frank ess" <frank@fshe2fs.com> wrote:
>...unless the "refurb" is offered by a known responsible dealer, such as
>B&H. I have had a couple from them, essentially new cameras repacked
>with all ancillaries as from the factory. The savings was not as much as
>some others, but confidence in the ease of any necessary adjustments was
>high-and justified.

I would trust B&H more than others, but if it's really a refurb the chances of
problems are still higher. At least with B&H you might get some support.
February 2, 2005 7:34:39 PM

For $100 difference I'd go new. Way back when, I sold Minolta refurb
SLRs for about half what they were new. That made it worth it.
Related resources
February 2, 2005 7:34:39 PM

NadCixelsyd wrote:

> (4) other??

Old stock that is returned from dealers when models are closed out are
also sold as "refurbished." I got a "used" camera from B&H that was
still in shrinkwrap. I got a refurbished MD player from a Sony outlet
and it is screwed up.

Bob
Anonymous
February 2, 2005 10:21:02 PM

"NadCixelsyd" <nadcixelsyd@aol.com> wrote in message
>I looked on eBay for a specific camera (Dimage A200). It seems that about
>40%
> of those for sale are reconditioned. Where do all these reconditioned
> cameras
> come from. Are they
>
> (1) Returns where the consumer wasn't happy with the product (and will I
> be?)
> (2) Defective returns (and how do I know they actually fixed the problem)
> (3) Demo's (R there that many demo cameras)
> (4) other??
>
> How close to "new" are these cameras. I think I'd rather shell out the
> extra
> $100 or so for a new camera.

I think it depends a lot on who refurbished the camera. If it was done by
the manufacturer with a warranty, it's probably as good as new, maybe
better. However, if the savings isn't all that great it's not worth it.
Anonymous
February 3, 2005 1:07:34 AM

"NadCixelsyd" <nadcixelsyd@aol.com> wrote in message
>I looked on eBay for a specific camera (Dimage A200). It seems that about
>40%
> of those for sale are reconditioned. Where do all these reconditioned
> cameras
> come from. Are they
>
> (1) Returns where the consumer wasn't happy with the product (and will I
> be?)
> (2) Defective returns (and how do I know they actually fixed the problem)
> (3) Demo's (R there that many demo cameras)
> (4) other??
>
> How close to "new" are these cameras. I think I'd rather shell out the
> extra
> $100 or so for a new camera.

I purchased a "factory refurbished" camera once. It was a little Olympus
Stylus. The dealer was out of regular new ones and only had the refurb
left. The price was good, so I said what the heck. It died one week after
the warranty expired. Ritz Camera (the seller) was VERY cooperative and
provided me with a brand new non-refurbished model as a replacement. I
still have that one....

Good shooting,
Bob Scott
Anonymous
February 3, 2005 7:33:34 AM

Bill Rude wrote:
> On Wed, 2 Feb 2005 08:47:32 -0800, "Frank ess" <frank@fshe2fs.com> wrote:
>
>>...unless the "refurb" is offered by a known responsible dealer, such as
>>B&H. I have had a couple from them, essentially new cameras repacked
>>with all ancillaries as from the factory. The savings was not as much as
>>some others, but confidence in the ease of any necessary adjustments was
>>high-and justified.
>

> I would trust B&H more than others, but if it's really a refurb the chances of
> problems are still higher. At least with B&H you might get some support.

Hi,
You can look at it this way as well. Weak link is broken and
taken care of so it may last long.
Tony
Anonymous
February 5, 2005 2:29:08 AM

On 02 Feb 2005 16:34:38 GMT, nadcixelsyd@aol.com (NadCixelsyd) wrote:

>I looked on eBay for a specific camera (Dimage A200). It seems that about 40%
>of those for sale are reconditioned. Where do all these reconditioned cameras
>come from. Are they
>
>(1) Returns where the consumer wasn't happy with the product (and will I be?)
>(2) Defective returns (and how do I know they actually fixed the problem)
>(3) Demo's (R there that many demo cameras)
>(4) other??
>
>How close to "new" are these cameras. I think I'd rather shell out the extra
>$100 or so for a new camera.

Well, I asked a similar question on this group about buying a
refurbished camera and many seemed to think they were fine. And I'm
sure some are.

But I think it is quite a bit of a gamble.

I finally decided to purchase a refurb, because the model I wanted, an
Olympus C-5050 was hard to find new as it is discontined and new was
out of my price range. Even refurbs were hard to find online.

So, I thought I'd buy on eBay from OlympusAuctions... figuring I'd be
safe buying direct from the manufacturer.

Here's what happened.

The first refurb camera came and had scratches on the lens. Looked
like the lens had crashed into the lenscap on one or more occasions.
The lens cap string was broken. The remote was not the correct model
remote. The hot shoe cover was missing.

Olympus allows you to exchange for any reason within 30 days... no
questions asked, so I did.

Second camera arrives... only shipped after I had to make a call to
Olympus to "remind" them that the first camera had been back in their
possession for two weeks. (Granted, this was during the Christmas
season... but still, if you ask me, after providing one disappointing
experience, they should've had a replacement camera out to me pronto.

Second camera... bad vertical scratch on the optical viewfinder. Deep
enough to actually cause light reflections inside the viewfinder.
Minor marks on lens. Remote totally MISSING! Neckstrap missing the
keepers. Supplied batteries were regular alkalines instead of the set
of NiMH batteries the camera was supposed to come with.

Olympus claims the odds of getting two bad refurbs in a row aren't
good, but well, I got them.

I then found a used C-5050 on KEH.com, thanks to someone here who
tipped me off. That camera was considerably less money. I bought it
and returned the Olympus refurb for a refund. I am happily using my
used camera. The only catch is that the warranty is only for 60 days,
vs. 90 days for an Olympus refurb.

So far, so good. Now I'm just waiting for Olympus to credit my card
for the purchase. I've no doubt they will, but they haven't been as
quick about it as one might like. If I don't see something on my
statement soon, I'll be calling.

So my advice, if you can get a new camera, shell out the extra $100.
Or buy a used camera from a reliable dealer like KEH.com.

If you must go the refurb route... be sure that your refurb is backed
by a warranty, hopefully a manufacturers warranty. And check if the
dealer will take returns for problem refurb cameras.

Cynthia
!