Your question

PSU problem?

Tags:
  • Power Supplies
  • Components
Last response: in Components
May 14, 2011 8:24:19 AM

Hi,
I've recently installed a cpu cooler and had to pull out the mobo, PSU, etc. After a bit of a struggle getting through POST everything was working well (playing Metro 2033 last night) but now when I power it on all the fans spin for a few seconds, the mobo power light goes on & stays on, but nothing else happens. I'm sure it's not due to a lack of power - it's a Corsair TX 750W and I've disconnected the graphics card, optical drive & floppy drive - but could there be a fault with it? There are no other obvious symptoms.

Asus P5Q SE Plus
Corsair TX 750W
Asus ENGTX480
Corsair 2 x 2048GB RAM
WD 80GB HDD system drive
Seagate 400GB HDD
Dual boot XP Pro SP3/7 Ultimate x64
Thanks.

More about : psu problem

May 14, 2011 8:38:06 AM

Interesting. I'm off to a beer fest shortly, so may have a bash at it later (possibly tomorrow when I sober up).
a b ) Power supply
May 14, 2011 8:41:25 AM

ok. tell us the result.
May 14, 2011 5:41:06 PM

I tried the paperclip test and the PSU works fine. Any other ideas?
May 15, 2011 8:13:29 AM

Is it possible that the 12V rail isn't getting enough power through to start everything up? The mobo light is on (so I suppose the 5V supply is fine) but apart from the fans spinning for a second on start-up nothing else happens. All the connectors look fine and I've re-seated everything but maybe I damaged something when I took the mobo out, although there are no obvious signs (or smells).

Any suggestions appreciated.
a b ) Power supply
May 15, 2011 8:17:47 AM

so your saying the mobo lights up and all fans turn on but there is no display?
May 15, 2011 8:22:15 AM

Yes, but the fans only spin for a second or two, including the Zalman beast. There are no other noises, no HDD/optical/floppy drive light flashing, no RAM check, no POST whatsoever and no display. The mobo light remains on but otherwise there are no signs of life.
a b ) Power supply
May 15, 2011 8:24:03 AM

ok,
then you could check for leaking capacitors on the mobo.
May 15, 2011 8:27:19 AM

Don't damaged capacitors look bloated & distorted? There's nothing like that and no residue on the mobo. It looks as good as gold.
May 15, 2011 8:30:30 AM

One other thought - although the front panel connectors all look fine at both ends, could it be a fault with the power switch connector? I took off the front panel and it all looks fine but the connection at the mobo end is a bit flimsy. Still, re-seating it doesn't seem to make any difference.
!