AMD Athlon II X4 600E Quad Core Energy Efficient Processor AM3 2.2GHZ

Maksym

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2008
Hi,

Was thinking of switching to AMD, from Intel, but wasn't willing to shell out the cash for it, now came across what looks like a great deal:

AMD Athlon II X4 600E Quad Core Energy Efficient Processor AM3 2.2GHZ 2MB Cache 45W Retail Box
For 49.99$

What I have now is Intel i3 530. Is it worth the upgrade? Would I see any difference in performance?

Haserath

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2010
No, you wouldn't see a performance benefit. In fact, it would be worse performance.

The i3 is already about 30-35% better in performance per core at the same clockspeed, then it has a 2.93ghz clock speed(much faster than the AMD) then it has hyperthreading to boost that in threaded apps that can use it.

Here's a comparison for ya:
http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/111?vs=118

If you can overclock them both to the same speed, then you would see the AMD beating the i3 in multithreaded programs, but it's not really worth the upgrade since the i3 will clock higher; the i3 is at 32nm while the AMD is at 45nm which helps power consumption as well.

Haserath

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2010

Well that helps a little bit, but what do you do with your computer?

Under most circumstances the Phenom II would be slower than the i3 except under highly threaded loads that load all 4 cores.

What sort of motherboard do you have for your i3?
If you really want a faster computer, you could learn how to overclock if your motherboard allows it. It's pretty easy and all you would need is a cheap $30 cooler for 4ghz+. You could probably get it to about 4.5ghz with luck(4ghz is pretty much guaranteed) which would be ~50% faster than it is now.

Yeah, there is really no point in upgrading now if he wants slow CPUs. It's really a downgrade. Just OC it. Get 4Ghz.