tecra 8000 bios update

Last response: in Laptops & Notebooks
a b D Laptop
March 21, 2005 1:39:18 PM

Could anyone tell me how to upgrade the bios on my tecra 8000 PII 300
as I now have 256 meg of ram installed but wish to get the other stick
recognised.

My main problem surrounds the fact that the laptop comes without a
floppy drive but the bios seems to be only available on a floppy style
update rather than the new method via windows.

Can any one shed any light on this please.
Regards Andy T

--
For users by users - BY-users group
<http://www.by-users.co.uk&gt;

More about : tecra 8000 bios update

Anonymous
a b D Laptop
March 21, 2005 1:39:19 PM

Just a thought.... burn the BIOS update (available at Toshiba on-line) on a
bootable cd..... should do the same thing, though I've not tried it. Let
us know.

--
that my two cents worth but, I suppose, that's
Just Me
"Andy T" <andy@westmidland-internet.co.uk> wrote in message
> Could anyone tell me how to upgrade the bios on my tecra 8000 PII 300
> as I now have 256 meg of ram installed but wish to get the other stick
> recognised.
>
> My main problem surrounds the fact that the laptop comes without a
> floppy drive but the bios seems to be only available on a floppy style
> update rather than the new method via windows.
>
> Can any one shed any light on this please.
> Regards Andy T
>

> --
> For users by users - BY-users group
> <http://www.by-users.co.uk&gt;
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
March 21, 2005 6:34:00 PM

On Mon, 21 Mar 2005 08:07:01 -0500, "Just Me" <just@me> wrote:

>Just a thought.... burn the BIOS update (available at Toshiba on-line) on a
>bootable cd..... should do the same thing, though I've not tried it. Let
>us know.

tried that but the bios update is called chgbiosa.exe which I assume
means it looks for the files in A. I have a Sony USB drive but it
does not work with the toshiba although it works just fine on my
desktop.......

thanks for reply
Regards Andy T

--
For users by users - BY-users group
<http://www.by-users.co.uk&gt;
a b D Laptop
March 21, 2005 6:34:01 PM

Can you bring the file to a computer that has a floppy (A drive) , expand
the contents to the floppy, and then burn the contents from the disk to a
bootable cd? Your laptop should be able to boot from the optical drive
and do the update.

--
> On Mon, 21 Mar 2005 08:07:01 -0500, "Just Me" <just@me> wrote:
>
>>Just a thought.... burn the BIOS update (available at Toshiba on-line) on
>>bootable cd..... should do the same thing, though I've not tried it. Let
>>us know.
>

> tried that but the bios update is called chgbiosa.exe which I assume
> means it looks for the files in A. I have a Sony USB drive but it
> does not work with the toshiba although it works just fine on my
> desktop.......
>
> thanks for reply
> Regards Andy T
>

> --
> For users by users - BY-users group
> <http://www.by-users.co.uk&gt;
March 21, 2005 7:19:22 PM

Andy T <andy@westmidland-internet.co.uk> wrote:
: Could anyone tell me how to upgrade the bios on my tecra 8000 PII 300
: as I now have 256 meg of ram installed but wish to get the other stick
: recognised.

Are you sure an updated BIOS will fix the problem? It sounds unusual
that an older BIOS would recognize less memory, though I suppose it's
possible.

Andrew
--
----> Portland, Oregon, USA <----
a b D Laptop

On Mon, 21 Mar 2005 10:41:07 -0500, "Just Me" <just@me> wrote:

>Can you bring the file to a computer that has a floppy (A drive) , expand
>the contents to the floppy, and then burn the contents from the disk to a
>bootable cd? Your laptop should be able to boot from the optical drive
>and do the update.

yes I have burnt the files to a CD BUT when I run the program
chgbiosa.exe it runs and asks for a bios name when I enter that it
just sits there. I am assuming that because it has A at the end of
the .exe its looking for an A drive to use as a source.
Regards Andy T

--
For users by users - BY-users group
<http://www.by-users.co.uk&gt;
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
March 21, 2005 7:25:27 PM

On 21 Mar 2005 16:19:22 GMT, usenetMYSHOES@bizaveMYSHOES.com (Andrew)
wrote:

>Andy T <andy@westmidland-internet.co.uk> wrote:
>: Could anyone tell me how to upgrade the bios on my tecra 8000 PII 300
>: as I now have 256 meg of ram installed but wish to get the other stick
>: recognised.
>
>Are you sure an updated BIOS will fix the problem? It sounds unusual
>that an older BIOS would recognize less memory, though I suppose it's
>possible.
>
>Andrew

I am not sure but the guy I purched the meomory off sent me to the
toshiba site to update the BIOS . he must think its necessary.

The thing is some people on here have already stated the tecra 8000
can use more than 256 of ram BUT toshiba seem to think and say other
wise but having experienced toshiba tech support I would not let them
feed my cat let alone provide support for a delicate machine like a
lap top.
Regards Andy T

--
For users by users - BY-users group
<http://www.by-users.co.uk&gt;
March 21, 2005 8:25:44 PM

Andy T <andy@westmidland-internet.co.uk> wrote:
: I am not sure but the guy I purched the meomory off sent me to the
: toshiba site to update the BIOS . he must think its necessary.

: The thing is some people on here have already stated the tecra 8000
: can use more than 256 of ram BUT toshiba seem to think and say other
: wise but having experienced toshiba tech support I would not let them
: feed my cat let alone provide support for a delicate machine like a
: lap top.

Did you look at the data sheet at Toshiba.com? I did.

Toshiba's specs say it can use only 256MB of RAM. That doesn't mean
it can't use more - maybe 128MB sticks were the largest available at
the time the laptop was put out - but it seems less likely to get
support for larger memory. Also, sometimes the chipset integrated
into the motherboard itself is the limiting factor, not the BIOS. You
may be out of luck.

I also looked at the BIOS update history, and I see nothing mentioned
about allowing for more memory (though I see allowing for faster
CPUs).

Exactly who told you you could use more than 256MB of RAM? Besides the
guy who sold you the RAM?

Andrew
--
----> Portland, Oregon, USA <----
a b D Laptop

In a contingent reality, Chris Hill possibly said:

>>Crucial Recommends:
>>The Toshiba Tecra 8000 PII300 has a maximum capacity of 256MB.
>

> They likely believed Toshiba. I have 320 on my wife's machine.

>Yes, but what type of memory?

and a few others all in this forum. They all say they have over 256
running.

Well the 256 stick does work and toshiba and others say it wont.so
.......whos right and whos wrong. The ram has a lifetime guarantee and
no quibble compatabilty so I am not being stitched up... :)  just yet
:)
Regards Andy T

--
For users by users - BY-users group
<http://www.by-users.co.uk&gt;
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
March 21, 2005 10:09:05 PM

On Mon, 21 Mar 2005 17:11:46 -0000, "Alex Quant"
<alexqspam@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:

>"Andy T" <andy@westmidland-internet.co.uk> wrote in message
>> On Mon, 21 Mar 2005 10:41:07 -0500, "Just Me" <just@me> wrote:
>>
>> >Can you bring the file to a computer that has a floppy (A drive) , expand
>> >the contents to the floppy, and then burn the contents from the disk to a
>> >bootable cd? Your laptop should be able to boot from the optical drive
>> >and do the update.
>>

>> yes I have burnt the files to a CD BUT when I run the program
>> chgbiosa.exe it runs and asks for a bios name when I enter that it
>> just sits there. I am assuming that because it has A at the end of
>> the .exe its looking for an A drive to use as a source.
>> Regards Andy T
>
>The BIOS file name is "BIOFC1AT.COM" and should work regardless if you have
>a floppy drive; at least, it worked the last time I applied the 9.20 update
>to a Tecra 8000 with a CD-Rom drive only.

Thanks alex. A search on that file gave me the full picture.

This is what archer said ...................
The problem is solved.

First i updated from version 9.10 to 9.20 with a bootable cd, and than
i updated to version 9.30 with another bootcd.

Howto:

1- Make a bootable cd with the files that are in de bios zip file
version 9.20. Put the cd in the drive and start up the laptop (make
sure that the laptop boots from the cd). Type CHGBIOSA at the prompt
and when the program asks for the file, type BIOFC1AT.COM.

2- Make a bootable cd with the files that are in de bios zip file
version 9.30. Put the cd in the drive and start up the laptop. Type
CHGBIOSA at the prompt and when the program asks for the file, type
BIOFC1AT.COM (do not type EC04F150.BIN, it didn't work here).

Regards Andy T

--
For users by users - BY-users group
<http://www.by-users.co.uk&gt;
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
March 22, 2005 6:06:08 AM

I know that my Tecra 8000 (P2/300) was limited to 256mb. I'm not sure that
more memory would offset the P2/300. It's just not going to be fast at much
of anything. Still not a bad laptop for what it is!
Andy

!