My display acting weird, please help

Status
Not open for further replies.

timnguyen2402

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2010
Hi everyone
My display just starts to act weird when I'm in game (not everytime I play game but it happens occasionally, especially on latest games like mafia 2, medal of honor 2010) and it'll be gone if I restart the PC. I've updated my graphic card to the lastest driver (10.10), also my mainboard (with the come along DVD). What could be the problem?

My PC specs:
AMD anthlon x4 635
Mainboard: asus M4N68T
VGA: HIS HD 6870

Here is the image I took (if I take it with Print Screen, the out come appears to be normal)

Solution
I can't tell for sure obviously but there is a good chance of it being the adaptor, or the cable between.

Did you use the same adapter with another card?

Also, next time it happens, can you just turn off your screen, then turn it back on and see if that fixes the display corruption.

I have to leave now but I'll check tomorrow and see if you've got it sorted out.
So far as your mainboard, I'd download the LATEST drivers for it to make sure you're actually up to date. But that's probably not what your problem is. Just a note that usually what's on the DVD is old to begin with.

You may want to download the latest DirectX Drivers from Microsoft.com to make sure it installs the latest updates and repairs any files with errors.

Also, you may want to try installing an earlier version of the ATI Catalyst drivers if you continue having issues. This could be a bug in the 10.10 driver.

timnguyen2402

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2010

Okay I'll make sure to do all of that.

eyefinity

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2010
Are you using displayport? Or an adapter between your card and monitor?

If print screen shows the screen as being ok, yet it's displaying like on your screenshot, it must be a problem with the screen or the adapter I'd say.

Your 6870 might have 2xDVI connectors (the two that are the same, probably white coloured and on the left side of the card). Try switching your screen to the other one.

timnguyen2402

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2010

My monitor doesn't support DVI (just VGA and HDMI), since I only have a VGA cable, so I use a DVI to VGA convert adapter to connect my monitor to the graphic card. So you mean the problem lies in that adapter?

eyefinity

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2010
I can't tell for sure obviously but there is a good chance of it being the adaptor, or the cable between.

Did you use the same adapter with another card?

Also, next time it happens, can you just turn off your screen, then turn it back on and see if that fixes the display corruption.

I have to leave now but I'll check tomorrow and see if you've got it sorted out.

Solution

requiemforroksy

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2008
ATI (Or I guess its just AMD now) says the new version of the drivers for the 6xxx series is 10.12, Id advice to try those or the 10.11 which seemed pretty stable for me.

Also like others have suggested try a dif DVI-VGA converter, if you dont have another one you can buy one at Best Buy or something like that for about $5 so hopefully its not too expensive.

I would also suggest to try changing the resolution to something lower and then back to your native resolution.

Also make sure the CCC shows your refresh rate the same as what your monitor refresh rate should be.

Good luck with this, I hope it works out for you buddy.
Req

timnguyen2402

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2010

Okay I just ran out radio shack and bought me a HDMI to DVI cable and it seems work. Thank thousand times and I'm really appreciated with your help.

timnguyen2402

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2010

I tried to use HDMI instead of VGA on my monitor and it seems work. It's really luck :] Cheers!

Status
Not open for further replies.