Sign in with
Your question

Tradeoffs and Sweet spots

Last response: in CPUs
May 14, 2011 6:37:24 PM

There has been much discussion about the new sandy bridge architecture from Intel and by all accounts the new cpus are very good performers. I look forward to the upcomming May 22, 2011 release of the "sandy bridge" Pentiums.

That being said, the question is this: Let's say I have a limited budget. I will buy a motherboard, case and power supply as well as suitable ram for the mobo for two systems.

Now comes the fun part. In one system I'll buy a top end (1155) core i7 2600k $314 in the other a core i3 2100 $124. I will take the $190 saved in the core i3 system and upgrade to a ssd hard drive ($144 crucial sata iii 64 gb vs. about $74 for a standard 1 TB spinning disk) and I'll take the remaining $120 and purchase a geforece gtx 550 ti for $121.99. So in one system I am using the core i7 2600, mobo, mechanical 1 TB disk with case and ps and in the other the same parts except switching the standard hd for the ssd and adding a graphics card.

From which system will I get the best performance or would you instead suggest a better core i3, some version of a core i5, or something else. In other words where is the so called "sweet spot" system giving maximum performance for the dollar???

More about : tradeoffs sweet spots

a b à CPUs
May 14, 2011 6:44:40 PM

there is no sweet spot really, thats because needs are different from people.But overall the sweet spot to me has to be:

i5 2500k with the z68 mobo
onboard graphics
hdd
ssd.

This should be my sweet spot.
m
l
May 14, 2011 7:06:11 PM

ghnader hsmithot said:
there is no sweet spot really, thats because needs are different from people.But overall the sweet spot to me has to be:

i5 2500k with the z68 mobo
onboard graphics
hdd
ssd.

This should be my sweet spot.

Hello again Ghnader!

I just recently ordered the gtx 550 ti card for my sandy bridge rig. I've tried every driver for the intel hd graphics and they still are giving me issues, restarting, freezing and so on. It is probably more card than I really need, but it is supposed to come with a Photoshop 9.0 license and since that software alone retails for nearly $70 U.S. I figure the whole package is a good deal. And there is even a $20 rebate as well.

For me, I guess I enjoy getting the maximum performance for the least money. On another board somewhere I mentioned that I have an Athlon ii x2 250 system that comes in just behind the core i5 in a pi calculation test. Not that this is the "final answer" or anything, but it is at least some indication that high quality performance can be had for minimal money. The Athlon ii x2 250 can be had for about $60 vs. nearly $200 for the core i5 2400. The core i5 is the better cpu, but the question is this: Is it really worth another $140.00 vs. what that money could buy to augment the Athlon ii x2 system???
m
l
a b à CPUs
May 14, 2011 8:06:19 PM

Not really.I do agree that most people dont use cpus for heavy work and that games can be played with a athlon II x2 not at max settings but they would be playable.

Well, most people would vouch that $140 so that the system would last long enough.I have a pentium 4 that still gives me good framerates in new games but it still cant let me play crysis no matter how low the settings i still cant even get into the startup screen

So there.People dont buy just for today but also tomorrow.
m
l
!