Sign in with
Your question

Computer Build for Video Work

Last response: in Systems
February 13, 2011 5:17:59 AM

Hey all! :D 

I have a whole lot of ex-rentals on VHS that I am transferring to DVD-r and wanting to install in back up internal hard drives. About 800 movies that I will need to capture, clean up, edit, fine tune the sound, and burn. This computer will not be connected to the internet. This computer will only be used for this project.

I have been doing a lot of research and I don't know if the pieces will fit, but I am trying. The budget isn't strict, but I don't want to overkill this, either.

I kindly ask for you guys to help point me in some mistakes of not being able to fit certain things together. Also, I need help on choosing a motherboard that supports Intel and has at least 1 eSATA and 1 Firewire 400, as well as the capability of putting all of this together...

- Intel i7-870 Quad Core Processor (289.00)
- Patriot Viper II Sector 7 12GB Desktop Memory (164.99)
- Intel X25-M 2.5" 160GB SATA II SSD (OS boot drive) (399.99)
- Win7 Ultimate 64-Bit for system builders (179.99)
- Intel Motherboard (unsure which one, though)
- Intel server chassis SC5299UP 420 watt (about 200.00)
- HT | Omega Clara Halo 24-bit Sound Card (199.99)
- MSI N460GTX Cyclone Video Card (184.99)
- AJA Kona LHe Video Capture Card (PCIe) (650.00 used) purchased
- Lite On SATA DVD Burner (25.00)
- Sony BWU-500S BD Burner (159.99)
- 4 1TB SATA hhds (undecided) (about 75.00x4)

Any help would be much appreciated!!! :) 
February 13, 2011 5:33:21 AM

honestly i dont know why ur running a server board, u could get alot better like this,

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

use those hard-drives with this cpu mobo, powersupply and case, and the other

parts u listed ull be all set, 6 cores is gonna be better if ur doing alot of

multitasking, and heavily treaded cpu work

heres a chassis that would work good for u

nice sleek look that would have the room u need and plus, all the bells and whistle u need ;) 
February 13, 2011 5:58:04 AM

Thanks for the reply! :) 

I was thinking about staying with a quad core because of possible long-term reliability issues with going six-core.

That's also the reason I was going with an Intel setup vs. AMD.

But hey, I'm just going off of what one person told me that may not know what he's talking about in the first place. ;) 

I like the computer case you suggested. The reason I was thinking server case was for the room. I didn't know full tower cases had the capability of fitting as much equipment as I'm trying to fit. Good to know! Absolutely noted.

Cool power supply. Nice to know that I need 750w. I'll definitely get that.

The negative reviews on the mobo has me a little concerned, but I've noticed that almost all mobos have some of that on Newegg. Makes me a little sketch on where to go, but I appreciate the direction!

Thanks so much! :D 
Related resources
February 13, 2011 6:58:28 AM

So what we've got here is a Hummer for grocery shopping. In other words a whole lot of overkill and waste.

- Intel i7-870 Quad Core Processor (289.00) :: You'd be better off with an AMD Hexcore (-$100)
- Patriot Viper II Sector 7 12GB Desktop Memory (164.99) :: I'm a fan of lots of RAM but really 4GB would work (-$100)
- Intel X25-M 2.5" 160GB SATA II SSD (OS boot drive) (399.99) :: Might be nice, I'd go smaller but you don't need a SSD at all (-$400)
- Win7 Ultimate 64-Bit for system builders (179.99) :: HomePro or even Linux would be just as good (-$80)
- Intel Motherboard (unsure which one, though) :: Switch to AM3 and nothing too elaborate ($~60)
- Intel server chassis SC5299UP 420 watt (about 200.00) :: A simple case and decent PSU for this setup (-$100)
- HT | Omega Clara Halo 24-bit Sound Card (199.99) :: VHS... (-$200)
- MSI N460GTX Cyclone Video Card (184.99) :: Integrated Graphics will be enough (-$185)
- Sony BWU-500S BD Burner (159.99) :: Your not burning VHS to Bluray, just get a 2nd DVD Burner (-$135)
- 4 1TB SATA hhds (undecided) (about 75.00x4) :: 2TB drives offer best price/performance atm (-$140)

In the end it's your money so go ahead and do what you want.
February 13, 2011 5:16:09 PM

Well, integrated graphics are not enough, opt for a gfx card with 1GB Vram , plus if u plan more than 4gb ram , its good for your video editing & stuff.
February 13, 2011 6:05:51 PM

wribbs said:
So what we've got here is a Hummer for grocery shopping. In other words a whole lot of overkill and waste.

- Intel i7-870 Quad Core Processor (289.00) :: You'd be better off with an AMD Hexcore (-$100)
- Patriot Viper II Sector 7 12GB Desktop Memory (164.99) :: I'm a fan of lots of RAM but really 4GB would work (-$100)
- Intel X25-M 2.5" 160GB SATA II SSD (OS boot drive) (399.99) :: Might be nice, I'd go smaller but you don't need a SSD at all (-$400)
- Win7 Ultimate 64-Bit for system builders (179.99) :: HomePro or even Linux would be just as good (-$80)
- Intel Motherboard (unsure which one, though) :: Switch to AM3 and nothing too elaborate ($~60)
- Intel server chassis SC5299UP 420 watt (about 200.00) :: A simple case and decent PSU for this setup (-$100)
- HT | Omega Clara Halo 24-bit Sound Card (199.99) :: VHS... (-$200)
- MSI N460GTX Cyclone Video Card (184.99) :: Integrated Graphics will be enough (-$185)
- Sony BWU-500S BD Burner (159.99) :: Your not burning VHS to Bluray, just get a 2nd DVD Burner (-$135)
- 4 1TB SATA hhds (undecided) (about 75.00x4) :: 2TB drives offer best price/performance atm (-$140)

In the end it's your money so go ahead and do what you want.

Intel i7-870 -- if you check out this article you'll see that the 870 outperforms even the six core AMD quite nicely regarding video editing tasks. Really worth the extra hundo for me.

Extra RAM, noted, thank you.

I really want to speed up application speed with the SSD. I know I don't need it, but like you said, it would be nice...

Got to go Win7 64 with the software and capture card.

Thanks for the suggestion on the motherboard.

Thank you for the suggestion on the case and psu.

A good sound card is needed. I have to do audio restoration, so I have to be very aware of what I'm hearing to modify it. Also, fan dubbing will be in the works as well.

A good video card is needed as well, as Tony said. Maybe not a $185.00 video card, but a good one, nonetheless.

I will do some bd ripping and adding English subtitles and then burning, or adding an English audio track to bd movies. (I will be doing the same to dvds as well, btw.) So that's why the bd burner is in there. Should of communicated that from the get. Apologies!

1 TB hhds are easier to resurrect if they crash. That's why I'd prefer nothing over 1TB atm.

The video restoration/encoding programs are really taxing on the computer. That's why I'm trying to get some speed out of it. Noise reduction algorithms can really eat up time.

Here's a rundown of the software I know I'll be using:

- AJA Machina (comes with AJA Kona Video Capture Card)
- Adobe Premiere CS3-CS5
- TMPGEnc DVD Authoring Works (TAW)
- TMPGEnc Plus for encoding with filters
- Ulead DVD Workshop 2 for semi-advanced authoring
- SoundForge for audio editing
- Womble MPEG-VCR for MPEG editing
- Neat Video for video restoration

February 14, 2011 4:39:12 AM

Shartlick Poopiepants said:
Thanks for the reply! :) 

I was thinking about staying with a quad core because of possible long-term reliability issues with going six-core.

I would say if waiting is an option Sandybridge else 1055T-1090T and OC? Lynnfield just does not makes sense. Lots of outdated PS benches also show older versions outside CS5 which is about the most multicore frenly so 1090T + IGP if u do not run Premieire Pro and/or leverage on Mercury Playback Engine Thuban + nicely priced IGP chipset is an extremely viable alternative to SandyBridge ^^

$235 1090T + Gigabyte 880G would be my pick for AMD option
http://www.microcenter.com/specials/promotions/AMDbundl...
!