Sign in with
Your question

Graphics card or Monitor issue? Need help please.

Tags:
  • Graphics Cards
  • Video
  • Monitors
  • Graphics
Last response: in Graphics & Displays
December 13, 2010 9:48:22 PM

Here is what I have

http://www.gateway.com/systems/product/529668232.php

I bought this desktop 2 yrs ago and it has served me well. Recently I purchased a EVGA Geforce GTS 450 overclocked and a 25" inch monitor during Black Friday. Here is the link to the monitor.

http://www.staples.com/Hannspree-HF2...64217:HF225DPB

The monitor is connected with HDMI input to the monitor and DVI to the card.

Now my problem is when I am watching a video and then if I double-click the video to go to full screen mode the monitor blacks out for 2 secs and then goes full screen. Similarly when I double click the full screen video it does the same when it comes back to normal. I am really hating this.
Now I have another monitor, a 20" HP 2009m, I connected it to that monitor DVI to DVI and it doesnt do it in that case. It works fine as expected. Also seems like transitioning from tab to tab in a browser seems kinda bit laggy with this new monitor.

Now I am wondering why is this happening?

1. Is this because of the 400 W powersupply that I have inside which is the min. requirement for the graphics card?

2. Is this because of the extra resolution (1920 x 1080) of the 25" monitor compared to the 1600 x 900 of the 20" monitor?

3. Or is it just plain because the 25" monitor is bad? (I don't think the graphics card is bad since I have used 2 different GTS 450s and its the same result).

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

More about : graphics card monitor issue

December 13, 2010 11:30:39 PM

does the new monitor have dvi,if it does try dvi to dvi........or try hdmi to hdmi
m
l
a b U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
December 14, 2010 4:05:08 PM

1. Using the minimum required power supply isn't a great idea (especially if it's a relatively weak one). I'd be interested to hear what the actual specs on the power supply are. If you open the PC case, there may be a label on the Power Supply itself that lists max continuous wattage, and the 12V amperage.

2. 1920x1080 is a higher than the GTS 450 is capable of for GAMING purposes (unless you're playing older games). However, for desktop applications, watching videos, and other basic stuff that should not be a problem.

3. The monitor is likely fine. I'd strongly recommend attaching it with the DVI to DVI cable as teaser has already suggested. With the HDMI, you may be seeing a lack of display picture as the image is resized or being processed. Try the DVI to DVI and see if this fixes the problem. That way you can at least rule that out.
m
l
Related resources
December 14, 2010 4:29:43 PM

get better psu for sure.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
December 14, 2010 4:31:57 PM

If this online retailer has any truth to it, this may be the power supply originally put in it. They list two 12v rails, one @ 18.5A and one at 14A. Simply says 400W MAX (likely not continuous).

http://www.ascendtech.us/itemdesc.asp?ic=CSPGATLX681001...

Whether this is your problem with the picture or not, honestly I'd suggest a better power supply.
m
l
!