Why am I getting this error when I try to install Windows 7?

adslol

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2011
I'm clean installing Windows 7 on a new system I just built from an burned .iso on a DVD and all is fine until I get past the language selection.

I get the error:
http://www.mcbsys.com/techblog/wp-content/uploads/2010/09/PBUMCHVdriverneeded1.png

Using a HP 1260i DVD writer as my drive.
Operating Systems Supported
-Microsoft Windows 2000 Professional SP4 / XP / Vista (32 bit or 64 bit) or later
Is Windows 7 implied after it says later, or is it really not supported?
Apparently it is: http://www.microsoft.com/windows/compatibility/windows-7/en-us/Details.aspx?type=Hardware&p=HP%20DVD1260I%20DVD%20Burner&v=HP&uid=DVD1260I&l=en-US&pf=1&pi=21&c=Storage%20Devices&sc=CD%2fRW%20%2f%20DVD%2fRW&os=64-bit
Hmmm...

I've tried:
-Changing SATA port mode settings from IDE to AHCI and RAID in BIOS, but a white line blinks in the top corner after the MB screen pops up.
-Putting the SATA cable connecting the disk drive into a 3gb/s port from the 6gb/s port.
-Burning the .iso again, but to no avail.
FAQ:
-I didn't get a driver CD with the drive I purchased.
-I did set the disk drive to the first boot device.

Thanks.

Computer specifications, if you need them:
i5 2500k
8GB DDR3 1600
1TB HDD
MSi GTX560Ti
MSi Z68-G45 G3

omac1a

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2010
What is the source for the ISO? Maybe try finding another one or a genuine W7 install disk. Another option for you is to try and install via USB thumbdrive. I have never done it but I know it's possible.

adslol

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2011
Sad part is I don't have another computer besides a Macbook 4,1 (2008) laptop, could I format the USB drive by opening cmnd prompt by pressing shift+F10 on the clean system, then enter the disk into my Macbook and transfer the files there?

tlw1999

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2011

Use a friends PC and download device driver, copy to a USB thumbdrive or burn to CD.

Hi

I have never heard of a modern ATA or SATA DVD drive needing a driver not found on a Windows XP, Vista or 7 disk

you have not said what the source of the ISO of Win 7 is or it's version & 32 or 64 bit
Do you have a checksum or hash value to confirm it is not corrupted ?

The DVD Drive may be faulty, the DVD-r you burnt may be faulty (or need burning at a slower speed)

You could try with the internal Graphics only and fit the MSi GTX560Ti after successfully installing Windows

What is the rating of your PSU (is it high enough for the graphics card) ?

regards

Mike Barnes

adslol

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2011
you have not said what the source of the ISO of Win 7 is or it's version & 32 or 64 bit
It's P2P, *nudge*. I'll try an OEM .iso when I get a chance instead of the P2P one.

What is the rating of your PSU (is it high enough for the graphics card)?
It's 750W, overkill by ~250W according to newegg's calculator.