Sign in with
Your question
Closed

G.Skill to Kingston: worth switching in my case?

Last response: in Memory
January 16, 2012 4:26:46 AM

I am looking to get a consensus on whether it would be wise, or beneficial, to change my memory in order to achieve higher overclocks on my i7-860 machine. This could be in regards to efficiency, longevity or overall performance (from a higher attainable memeory speed perspective)

I currently have a H55-GD65 mobo with G.Skill f3-10666CL7D-8GBRH 2x4Gb memory.

The RAM I am considering is Kingston KHZ160039D3K3/12GX This comes as a 12Gb (3x4Gb) bundle and I have no problem leaving one stick in the box as I know my cpu only supports dual channel.

Both are listed as recomended RAM from the MSI spec sheet for this mobo.

So far I have had no problems running the G.Skill sticks, that is until I go past certain cpu multipliers.

Here is an example of what I have for settings at 1500Mhz (4 multiplier) speed:

& finaly :

I have ran the RAM to 1560Mhz @ 3.5ghz (195x18) that was with the dram at a max of 1.65v, which I don't think I should go beyond, but I'm no expert. I run into stability issues when I try running higher cpu multiplyers, yet, if i drop the RAM multiplier to 3 it works, so I know this bclk is stable, so it just might b the RAM mucking it up.

I have read many reviews and such stating the IMC in these processors can go well beyond 1600Mhz.

Would this change allow me to see higher stable RAM speeds at the same voltage?

Thanks
a b } Memory
January 16, 2012 4:42:21 AM

many memory controllers go higher, my AMD didn't quite make it. On AMD systems you can bump the voltage to the memory controller to help. not sure on Intel.
You could try backing the timings off more . theres also nothing wrong with just reducing the ram multiplier. It wont make much difference in anything but benchmarks. Faster CPU > faster ram
Score
January 16, 2012 1:56:49 PM

Will give working the voltages to see where that gets me first. As I stated i have seen not only higher speeds with the 860, but also with G.Skill. Unfortunately with so many variations it would be impossible to make straight comparisons to the exact model RAM I have.

I have been researching it but information seems to predominately revolve around p55 boards. I do not want to assume the specific voltages would be the same with my board... So i have been a little leary about using them as a refference point.

My logic is that if i start with a higher rate RAM, moving forward with cpu tuning should be easier to achieve with RAM rated @ 1600mhz. Not that I need it faster necessarily. I may, however, be wrong about that, but it just seems to make sense that way.
Score
Related resources

Best solution

January 26, 2012 3:06:15 AM

To close the thead:

I found lowering DRAMv resolved the issues.
January 26, 2012 3:14:32 PM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
Score
January 26, 2012 3:14:41 PM

Best answer selected by mousemonkey.
Score
!