PSU - Not powerful enough?

Hello all, I recently built a new budget build home computer. Specifications is as following:

Motherboard: MSI 770 C-45 AM3+ support
CPU: AMD Athlon II x4 640 (2MB cache)
Memory: 2x2GB DDR3 1333MHZ
GPU: Gainward Geforce GTX 460 1GB GS (Golden Sample)
HDD: Samsung spinpoint 500GB
PSU: Chieftec 550W

I built this system 2 days ago. The last 2 days it have worked fine, I have benchmarked it and played
"heavy" video games with ease.

The first night (or morning) it turned itself off when I was at sleep, I didnt bother to look into it and just started it up
again. Now the second morning it have turned it self off again and now almost impossible to boot.

I have to take out the 24pin lead and connect it again and even then sometimes it wont start up again.

When I DO get it to boot it can take from 5 to 15 minutes and it turns itself off again.

I have jumpstarted the PSU with connecting the green and black lead on the 24pin using a binders and the fans
beside the PSU + the PSU fan will start to spin.

It seems like a PSU problem, but as it will start at all and with a quick/jumpstart aswell it may be a voltage problem?

If you think so I will try to get the voltage numbers from the Speedfan utility, but if you're certain that its not I won't
bother as it is not as easy to start the computer..

Help me guys! :-)
1 answer Last reply
More about powerful enough
  1. Size wise the PSU is fine but it could be broken, it could be the motherboard as well.
    Apart from trying the PSU in a different computer you can use this guide and the bread boarding thread linked in it to find out the problem part http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/261145-31-perform-steps-posting-boot-video-problems
Ask a new question

Read More

Homebuilt Systems