Sign in with
Your question

PSU - Not powerful enough?

Last response: in Systems
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
February 13, 2011 10:59:06 AM

Hello all, I recently built a new budget build home computer. Specifications is as following:

Motherboard: MSI 770 C-45 AM3+ support
CPU: AMD Athlon II x4 640 (2MB cache)
Memory: 2x2GB DDR3 1333MHZ
GPU: Gainward Geforce GTX 460 1GB GS (Golden Sample)
HDD: Samsung spinpoint 500GB
PSU: Chieftec 550W

I built this system 2 days ago. The last 2 days it have worked fine, I have benchmarked it and played
"heavy" video games with ease.

The first night (or morning) it turned itself off when I was at sleep, I didnt bother to look into it and just started it up
again. Now the second morning it have turned it self off again and now almost impossible to boot.

I have to take out the 24pin lead and connect it again and even then sometimes it wont start up again.

When I DO get it to boot it can take from 5 to 15 minutes and it turns itself off again.

I have jumpstarted the PSU with connecting the green and black lead on the 24pin using a binders and the fans
beside the PSU + the PSU fan will start to spin.

It seems like a PSU problem, but as it will start at all and with a quick/jumpstart aswell it may be a voltage problem?

If you think so I will try to get the voltage numbers from the Speedfan utility, but if you're certain that its not I won't
bother as it is not as easy to start the computer..

Help me guys! :-)

More about : psu powerful

a c 103 B Homebuilt system
February 13, 2011 11:36:13 AM

Size wise the PSU is fine but it could be broken, it could be the motherboard as well.
Apart from trying the PSU in a different computer you can use this guide and the bread boarding thread linked in it to find out the problem part http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/261145-31-perform-ste...
!