Computer makes 2 beeps when i insert disc?

Status
Not open for further replies.

blackprimehunter

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2011
Recently i was trying to install linux on my spare hard drive and i noticed for the first time that everytime the dvd/cd tray goes back into the cd/dvd drive, the computer makes 2 quick beeps.

They were pretty load at first but i tried ejecting the dvd tray a couple times and now when i insert the dvd and close the dvd tray, the beeps are still there but are very faint.

They are definitely coming from the computer itself, not the speakers, and i don't think i noticed them before. Any ideas why this is happening?

Solution
The motherboard speaker is a tiny capacitor-like speaker with 2 leads attached to it. These leads plug into 2 speaker pins on the motherboard.

Now coming to the beeps. Depending on which BIOS you have, there is a beeps codes chart. For AMI BIOS, two short beeps during POST indicate memory problems. Here is an extract:

"2 Short Beeps - Your computer has memory problems. First check video. If video is working, you'll see an error message. If not, you have a parity error in your first 64K of memory. First check your SIMM's. Reseat them and reboot. If this doesn't do it, the memory chips may be bad. You can try switching the first and second banks memory chips. First banks are the memory banks that your CPU finds its first 64K of base...
It's from the motherboard speaker; a small plug-in speaker that looks like a capacitor. It is probably getting weak. You should also notice this beep during startup when the computer does its POST. This beep comes from the tiny motherboard speaker which is separate from the computer speakers.

As long as it is audible, there is nothing to worry about. If it fails, replace it. It does not affect computer functions. However, it is necessary for debugging motherboard problems per beep codes.

blackprimehunter

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2011
Hey, thanks for the reply!

And.. um.. how do i replace the speaker? It's barely been 2 weeks since i got this computer, should the speaker be weakening already? and if it does fail, do you have to do soldering to attach a new one? also, were the 2 beeps always there and i just failed to notice them before, or do you think they are caused due to some recent malfunction? I was ejecting and inserting a couple different discs to try and get the linux distro installed :\

lol i know that's alot of questions, but I'm not the most educated person when it comes to hardware debugging and stuff, anyway thanks again for the reply!

The motherboard speaker is a tiny capacitor-like speaker with 2 leads attached to it. These leads plug into 2 speaker pins on the motherboard.

Now coming to the beeps. Depending on which BIOS you have, there is a beeps codes chart. For AMI BIOS, two short beeps during POST indicate memory problems. Here is an extract:

"2 Short Beeps - Your computer has memory problems. First check video. If video is working, you'll see an error message. If not, you have a parity error in your first 64K of memory. First check your SIMM's. Reseat them and reboot. If this doesn't do it, the memory chips may be bad. You can try switching the first and second banks memory chips. First banks are the memory banks that your CPU finds its first 64K of base memory in. You'll need to consult your manual to see which bank is first. If all your memory tests good, you probably need to buy another motherboard."

Phoenix BIOS Beep Codes:
2-_-_ "Any combo of beeps after two means that some of your memory is bad, and unless you want to get real technical, you should probably have the guys in the lab coats test the memory for you. Take it to the shop. "

If there is an error, the error message will be displayed on the screen.

One way to check the memory is to run memtest86. Win 7 also has a memory checker.

Check what version of BIOS you have. Then go to the BIOS site (or motherboard manufacturer's site) and download the BIOS beep codes. I have some of these codes, and shall be glad to email them to you. Just send me a PM request and I will comply.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.