Do we really need virtual memory anymore?

Frizzo

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2010
ever heard of a cache? asking a question because i want an answer, not your sarcasm. whenever i've looked at the official information, it's always presented as a little helper for RAM.

JasonAkkerman

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2008
If you have that much RAM then turn down the page file to a small size like 256MB-512MB. Do this for compatibility reasons as opposed to completely turning it off.

To more directly answer your question though, in that range of memory availability, no you do not really need to use a page file. There are a lot of machines out there though that only have 2-4GB of RAM. It is far from standard to have more then 8GB of RAM.

If u will run test with and without and with different sizes, u will see that u benefit from the speed, but only about 5% withe games...

Don't forget the Windows will recreate as needed. Even if it is disabled.

Frizzo

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2010
"Don't forget the Windows will recreate as needed. Even if it is disabled."

yeah, there is the real problem. the os recreates even after you turn it off. i remember many months ago trying to figure out how to completely disable it across the board, but i never found anything. just the advanced settings turn off page file...there has to be a lower level way to turn it off somewhere in the os, though it may just blue screen out because they don't want you doing it.

Bottom-Line, unfortunately you still 'do' need Virtual Memory, and the main reason is Developer's that write code 'looking' for it. I recommend that you manually reduce its' size to 2GB if you have >6GB of RAM. Further, you do have the 'option' to move it someplace else e.g. a HDD if using an SSD and really need the extra space or any attached 'drive.'