Facing a Purchasing Decision....PSU vs UPS

trickynick

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2010
If you all remember not too long ago about my posting of my PSU dying. This would be the 3rd death, with the 2nd death of the PSU less than 4 months ago.

Some people who posted think it's cause my power is "dirty" and that is causing my problems. In my last post, I assumed that my old PC was working, when, in fact it got hit as well. 2 computers, dead, and it's only the PSUs that got hurt.

Newer Build had OCZ StealthXStream II 700w
Old Build: Antec True Blue 480w (might be wrong on the wattage on this one)

Here's my dilemma...

Buy a new PSU since I've had 3 OCZ PSUs die on me within 2 years

- or -

Buy a UPS? (In case it is dirty power...OCZ recommends getting True Sine Wave)

Please list your thoughts on why you picked your answer.

trickynick

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2010
No, it's an apartment, and landlord will want me to pay for it.

I am using a surge protector, but PSUs still died. In my other post, the culprit doesn't seem to be a spike, but something else. If it was a spike, I'd have expected more of my equipment to fail, not just PSUs in 2 systems. One on, one off but plugged in.

Hi again tricky!
Yes i did read read about your 3rd psu failure.
Obviously not an OZC quality control problem.
1 psu failure yeah maybe,but two, and now a 3rd highly unlikely.
Buy one of the new Cyberpower PFC series ups's.
Either one of these would be fine and a worthwhile investment.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Productcompare.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=100007932%2050001821%204017&IsNodeId=1&bop=And&CompareItemList=72%7C42%2D102%2D132%5E42%2D102%2D132%2DTS%2C42%2D102%2D131%5E42%2D102%2D131%2DTS
Good 3yr warranty and customer support.
I've had my Cyberpower 1500 for 2yrs and it's been excellent.

you can always check the Mains AC voltage with an appropriate multimetre. to high or two low voltage can cause devices to be receiving out of spec voltage. but assuming you have dirty/out of spec power, you would think there would be other devices in your house breaking down also, tv, monitors, fridge etc. You would expect a 700w OCZ psu to be more robust and have more fail-safes than the SMPSU in your TV or monitor......

trickynick

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2010
It just has be troubled. Don't know how I can go about getting my power checked out. Now, there was one other issue that happened in my apartment, but it happened only once, and it happened weeks ago, so it's probably not relavent.

The bottom heating element in my oven also experienced a problem, but happened weeks before current PSU went out.

@davcon: I've been eyeing the 1000VA/600w Cyberpower. I think that instead of switching PSU brands, the UPS will probably be a better investment at this point.

Ya Tricky the chances of getting 3 defective units is next to nil.
You can buy a cheap wall outlet testor at any hardware store.=test for ground and polarity.
Something tells me the wall outlet your rig is powered into is faulty or incorrectly wired.
It's more common then you think,since alot of landlords and handymen think they're electricians,etc,etc,...
I would try another wall outlet for sure and recommend you pick up a testor.
A nice explanation of what to look for(what the testor can't detect) if you read the whole link.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Receptacle_tester
I strongly believe Mickey Duck has wired the receptacle/s incorrectly.
It's really not that difficult to wire wall receptacles i've replaced too many to mention.