mawfia

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2001
Hello fellow posters, well let me get straight to the problem. You i have a problem with the connection of my modem heres are its specks:

Telepath 56k for windows
GTE is my ISP and they support x2 and v.90

I bought my computer from an OEM (Gateway) in 97'. When i originally started connecting i only got up to 28.8k then a bout a year later in 98' i learned about modem strings and i was getting speeds no slower than 49.3k and no faster than 50.3k. Now it seems this month that my modem hardly ever gets above 28.8 sometimes if im lucky 40.3k, even when i tried just various other modem strings for US robotic modems. I was wondering if anyone had a viable solution for me. Broadband is not an option (cuse nothing is offered in my area). Is it my ISP or should I buy another modem or am i just stuck with 28.8k/sec?

P.S. getting the hightest connection rate possible really does matter to me cuse i download a lot and now it takes twice as long as usual to download large mb files.

G

I'd say you're at the mercy of mother nature...(and possibly your ISP).

A lot of factors determine connection speed. Could be line noise on the phoneline (caused by construction, shorts, grounding problems, etc...). It could be solar flares. It could be the ISP is reconfiguring their hardware (or their fast modem pool is full so they put you on the slower modem pool)? Try getting a number for another local modem pool?

If you can get a good modem (like a US Robotics/3Com), you can try getting faster speeds (they're generally the best at getting past minor interference) but there's no guarantee.

If the stuff you're doing is mission critical, you can probably get ISDN, or even satellite.

FatBurger

Illustrious
It's probably because you don't have a static IP. To get a static IP, open up your case and remove the modem. Place it on a metal chair (if you don't have any, buy one), then ritually walk around the chair and modem 13 times, shuffling your feet, and chanting "Static, static, static, static, etc." until you're done (remember to say the etc., that's the most important one). Then, touch the modem with your LEFT RING FINGER. If you don't see a spark, repeat until you do. Then, put it back in your computer. It should work fine.

------------------------------
Apple? Macintosh? What are these strange words you speak?

G

if your girlfriend has blond hair u can go ask her to touch the modem, cuz there is alot of static in blond hair!