Sign in with
Your question

Help me please, In need for a CPU for my Motherboard

Last response: in CPUs
May 15, 2011 2:50:47 AM

Hey guys, I am in need of a new CPU for gaming. Here is my CPU now :

Motherboard :

Please find me a new CPU for gaming. My budget is up to $100.
Im guessing I can only use Socket AM2+, not sure if AM3+ is compatible with my board. I have no idea how much power usage my board can handle for CPU. I am in desperate need of a new Processor..Thank you so much.

More about : cpu motherboard

May 15, 2011 3:19:32 AM

According to what I found online

Documented General Info:
Processor
• Supports AMD® AM2 Socket K8 Athlon™ 64 X2, Athlon™ 64, Athlon™ FX, and Sempron™ processors under 89 watt power consumption
• Support transfer rate of 2000/1600/1200/800/400 mega-transfers per second.

Chipset
• NVIDIA MCP61S

Memory
• Four 240-pin DDR2 800/667/533/400 MHz SDRAM slots
• Support up to 8 GB system memory

Audio
• Integrated Realtek High Definition Audio (ALC888S)

Video
• Integrated NVIDIA® GeForce® 6150SE nForce 430 graphics

Onboard I/O Connectors
• PS/2 keyboard port
• PS/2 mouse port
• VGA port
• Four USB 2.0 ports
• One parallel port
• One serial port
• One VGA monitor port
• One RJ-45 LAN port
• Six audio jacks

Expansion Options
• One PCI Express ×16
• Two PCI-E ×1
• One PCI Conventional

Internal Header
• Two 2-port USB 2.0 headers (2 × 5)
· One Front panel audio header (mic / headphone)
· One front panel header (2 × 5 supports power LED, power switch, hard drive LED, and reset switch)
· One Floppy disk drive connector
· One Primary IDE connector
· Four Serial ATA II connectors (3 GB/s)
· One Clear CMOS jumper
· One Main Power Connector 24-pin (2 × 12)
· One 12V CPU power connector 4-pin
· One 4-pin CPU power connector
· One 3-pin system fan connector
· One 3-pin power fan connector

Storage
• Two Serial ATA II connectors (3 GB/s)
• One Primary IDE connector
• Floppy disk drive

Onboard LAN
• Integrated Realtek RTL8201N 10/100 MB LAN

Form Factor
• mATX 244 × 244 × 1.6 mm

AM2 processors are in short supply at Newegg and tigerdirect although maybe I missed something.

However at amazon I found this: http://www.amazon.com/AMD-Athlon-64-5800-Dual-Core/dp/B...

This says 89 watts exactly, but I THINK it would work.

You may be better off saving a bit more and upgrading to AM3 There is a combo at newegg for around $90 that has an athlon ii x2 and a mobo. You'd probably have to get ram though...

m
l
Related resources
May 15, 2011 3:22:47 AM

Doing some more checking I'm a bit more concerned about the wattage. Your current cpu says 65 watts and the one I suggested says 89 watts so that's not LESS THAN 89 watts.

Why do you need a cpu? What happened to the 4400? Just curious.
m
l
May 15, 2011 3:26:49 AM

valcore said:
Hey! First off, Thank you for taking your time & looking up my motherboard's spec out for me.

will this work for my motherboard?I heard you could use AM3 on AM2+ sockets.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=19-103-...

No, that's a socket AM3. As a rule of thumb and there are charts for this somewhere on AMD site, AM2 cpus will go into AM2+ boards and AM3 cpus will usually go into AM2+ boards but AM3 cpus will NOT go into AM2 boards. It is all very confusing. And then there are the wattages to be concerned about. If you have a low-wattage compatable board it will NOT accept a high wattage cpu. You best bet BEFORE you buy is to go the the motherboard website and check cpu compatability. They usually have a list.
m
l
May 15, 2011 3:28:10 AM

The New CPU I listed says it requires only 45W which is good, but its a AM3, im not sure if my motherboard could use AM3 socket type.

And nothings wrong with it, it doesn't perform well on games such as Team Fortress 2, Black Ops and more. Some newer games I run through canurunit.com shows my CPU isn't good enough for the newer games so I feel like its time for a upgrade!

Thanks again. :) 
m
l
May 15, 2011 3:30:14 AM

kfitzenreiter said:
No, that's a socket AM3. As a rule of thumb and there are charts for this somewhere on AMD site, AM2 cpus will go into AM2+ boards and AM3 cpus will usually go into AM2+ boards but AM3 cpus will NOT go into AM2 boards. It is all very confusing. And then there are the wattages to be concerned about. If you have a low-wattage compatable board it will NOT accept a high wattage cpu. You best bet BEFORE you buy is to go the the motherboard website and check cpu compatability. They usually have a list.

Wow, that's some bad news..

Can you please help me find the BEST processor my Mobo can handle? I'm sorry but I don't know which one to buy :fou:  . Thanks for your time.
m
l
May 15, 2011 3:32:44 AM

valcore said:
The New CPU I listed says it requires only 45W which is good, but its a AM3, im not sure if my motherboard could use AM3 socket type.

And nothings wrong with it, it doesn't perform well on games such as Team Fortress 2, Black Ops and more. Some newer games I run through canurunit.com shows my CPU isn't good enough for the newer games so I feel like its time for a upgrade!

Thanks again. :) 

Yes I must admit I too am sometimes confused by the am2 am2+ am3 compatibility issue. I would not assume that an am3 cpu would run on an am2 board. Definitely check the mobo site
m
l
May 15, 2011 3:43:47 AM

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?Ite...

this group would put you about 20 bucks over budget but you will get much, much better performance than with just about anything your board will take.

The athlon ii x2 is a pretty good cpu and the mobo is am3 so it get you next generation.

Barring that, definitely check the cpu compatabilty list to see if it will go in an AM2 socket. Watch for low wattage too. Please consider the combo upgrade, it would be well worth it. Good luck
m
l
May 15, 2011 3:46:29 AM

Why is no one getting to the point? even if the sempron is compatible, it would perform no better than the 4400, if not worse. And the bottleneck for those games would be your graphics, even if you manage a i7, with that graphics the game's still gonna lag. Your option is either to get a $500 or more new pc, or just stick with what you have.
m
l
May 15, 2011 3:53:40 AM

Looking at it from the graphics standpoint, szbxa may be right, to a point.

Assuming your psu is up to it my suggested combo above plus a decent graphics card might be up to the task. I'm not a gamer so I don't know what the graphics requirements of the different games are. I know it all gets very expensive.

I wish I had better news...
m
l
May 15, 2011 4:20:36 PM

Quote:
you may find this interesting:
http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/266637-12-emachines...

according to some it will support a phenom x4 II 925 which would be a great upgrade and is a very capable CPU, read the whole thread.

Thank you so much for the reply. I read over it and that person must be very lucky running a 95W on a 89W mobo.. Maybe I should do that aswell. Thank you!
m
l
a b à CPUs
May 15, 2011 4:33:55 PM

and so what do you want to do?
the socket only supplies under 89w and your bios isnt supporting upgrades for phenomsII.
m
l
a b à CPUs
May 15, 2011 5:23:27 PM

no, i am sorry my advice is to save money for a new build.
m
l
a b à CPUs
May 15, 2011 5:54:15 PM

Quote:
no they are saying that it is actually an error, it is meant to say 99W not 89W apparently.

oo..
However the bios hasnt stated it has supported this cpu.I dont want to be the messenger of bad tidings however i think it wont be suitable for his mobo.Of course he could do it.
m
l
May 15, 2011 6:34:31 PM

Quote:
dont bother you would be much better off with this: ( you wont have to change your ram)
and a phenom 555:

total cost 90+40=130 brand new, also you have a chance of unlocking your 555 to a quad core!

comparison 555 to 6000+:
http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/121?vs=28

6000+ vs unlocked 555:
http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/88?vs=28

PS: the ebay processor your looking at is used, which isnt necesarily a bad thing but you dont know what the previous owner may have done with it.

Thanks, I am not very good with installing Motherboards, the closest thing I've ever done with PC building is changing the RAM and the GFX card. I would just like a simple CPU to install. I am not going to be doing some major gaming like Crysis or anything.
m
l
May 15, 2011 6:35:59 PM

One issue we haven't addressed is the boot disk issue.

Fortunately the asrock board takes ide, but can it BOOT off of them. Just asking. Maybe he has sata, I don't know, but it is potentially an issue...
m
l
May 15, 2011 6:48:51 PM

kfitzenreiter said:
One issue we haven't addressed is the boot disk issue.

Fortunately the asrock board takes ide, but can it BOOT off of them. Just asking. Maybe he has sata, I don't know, but it is potentially an issue...

All of these possibilities that could go wrong.. Well the Hard Drive im using now is

Hard Drives
313GB Western Digital WDC WD32 00AAJS-22B4A SCSI Disk Device (Fibre)
m
l
May 15, 2011 6:53:30 PM

I'm using a SCSI, will that interfere with the CPU im going to buy? (AMD Athlox 64 X2 6000+)
m
l
May 15, 2011 7:12:26 PM

valcore said:
I'm using a SCSI, will that interfere with the CPU im going to buy? (AMD Athlox 64 X2 6000+)

Are you sure it is SCSI and not SATA or IDE? Isn't your system a gateway or emachine or something like that or is it a home brew "white box"
m
l
May 15, 2011 7:16:16 PM

Have you considered upgrading your mobo as well. I realize it takes you a bit over $100, but the advantages long-term would be well worth the modest additional investment. Even if you have to wait a few weeks or a month or two, it would be much better to upgrade.
m
l
May 15, 2011 7:17:05 PM

kfitzenreiter said:
Are you sure it is SCSI and not SATA or IDE? Isn't your system a gateway or emachine or something like that or is it a home brew "white box"

According to Speccy I have SCSI. Here's a picture and Yes I am using a eMachines.

m
l
May 15, 2011 7:24:15 PM

You have an Emachine.

What is the model number on the front. Is it like a ES5436 or what model is listed on the tower?
m
l
May 15, 2011 7:33:15 PM

kfitzenreiter said:
You have an Emachine.

What is the model number on the front. Is it like a ES5436 or what model is listed on the tower?

ET1161-03
m
l
May 15, 2011 7:40:44 PM

Sorry about the poor copy/paste job but buried in here says Serial ATA-300...

Do you have a graphics card now and if so what model is it?

Product brief User reviewsSpecifications.ShareAdd to my listPrintE-mailWant it0Got it0Had it0
..Part Number:884483186297..General
Type Personal computer .Product Form Factor Tower .Width 7.2 in .Depth 16.1 in .Height 14.5 in .Weight 21.6 lbs .Desktop type Budget desktop system .Processor
Type AMD Athlon 64 X2 4400+ / 2.3 GHz .Multi-Core Technology Dual-Core .64-bit Computing Yes .Mainboard
Chipset type NVIDIA GeForce 6150 SE .Data bus speed 2000.0 MHz .Cache Memory
Type L2 cache .Installed Size 1.0 MB .Cache Per Processor 1 MB ( 2 x 512 KB ) .RAM
Installed Size 3.0 GB / 8.0 GB (max) .Technology DDR2 SDRAM .Memory Speed 800.0 MHz .Memory Specification Compliance PC2-6400 .Form Factor DIMM 240-pin .Configuration Features 2 x 512 MB + 2 x 1 GB .Storage Controller
Type Serial ATA - Integrated .Controller Interface Type Serial ATA-300 .Storage
Floppy Drive None .Hard Drive 1.0 x 320.0 GB - Standard - Serial ATA-300 - 7200.0 rpm .Hard Drive (2nd) None .Hard Drive (3rd) None .Optical Storage
Type DVD�RW (�R DL) / DVD-RAM .Read Speed 48x (CD) / 16x (DVD) .Write Speed 48x (CD) / 18x (DVD�R) / 8x (DVD�R DL) .Rewrite Speed 32x (CD) / 6x (DVD-RW) / 8x (DVD+RW) / 12x (DVD-RAM) .Disc Labeling Technology Labelflash Technology .Optical Storage (2nd)
Type None .Storage Removable
Type None .Monitor
Monitor Type none. .Graphics Controller
Type Integrated .Graphics Processor / Vendor NVIDIA GeForce 6150 .Max Allocated RAM Size 128.0 MB .Audio Output
Type Sound card - Integrated .Sound Output Mode 7.1 channel surround .Compliant Standards High Definition Audio .Speaker(s) 2.0 x Right / left channel .Input Device
Type Keyboard,
Mouse .Mouse
Mouse interface PS/2 .Mouse features Scroll .Audio Input
Type None .Telecom
Modem Fax / modem .Max Transfer Rate 56.0 Kbps .Protocols & Specifications ITU V.92 .Networking
Networking Network adapter - Integrated .Data Link Protocol Fast Ethernet,
Ethernet .Printer
Type None .Expansion / Connectivity
Expansion Bays Front accessible - 5.25" x 1/2H,
Front accessible - 3.5" x 1/3H,
Internal - 3.5" x 1/3H .Expansion Slot(s) 1.0 (total) / 0.0 (free) x Processor - DIMM 240-pin,
4.0 (total) / 0.0 (free) x Memory .Interfaces 1.0 x Display / video - Line-out/headphones - Mini-phone stereo 3.5 mm ( 2 in front ),
1.0 x Modem - Line-out (center/subwoofer) - 4 pin USB Type A ( 1 in front ),
1.0 x Mouse - Ethernet 10Base-T/100Base-TX - Mini-phone stereo 3.5 mm,
1.0 x Audio - Line-out (rear) - Mini-phone stereo 3.5 mm,
1.0 x Audio - VGA - RJ-11,
2.0 x Audio - Line-in - Mini-phone 3.5 mm,
1.0 x Headphones - Phone line - 6 pin mini-DIN (PS/2 style),
1.0 x Network - Line-out (side surround) - 15 pin HD D-Sub (HD-15),
1.0 x Hi-Speed USB - Generic - Mini-phone stereo 3.5 mm,
1.0 x Keyboard - Generic - 6 pin mini-DIN (PS/2 style),
1.0 x Audio - Input - Mini-phone stereo 3.5 mm,
1.0 x Audio - Output - RJ-45,
6.0 x Microphone - Mini-phone stereo 3.5 mm .Power
Device Type Power supply .Operating System / Software
OS Provided Microsoft Windows Vista,
Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium .Software Norton 360 (60 days trial),
Microsoft Works 9.0,
Microsoft Office 2007 Home and Student Edition (60 days trial),
WildTangent (10 demo games with 60 minutes of game play),
Google Toolbar,
Napster Digital Music Service (30 days trial),
NetZero Internet Access .Manufacturer Warranty
Service & Support 1 year warranty .Service & Support Details Limited warranty - Parts and labor - 1 year .Card Reader
Card reader 15 in 1 card reader .Supported flash memory cards Memory Stick PRO Duo,
Memory Stick PRO,
Memory Stick Duo,
SD Memory Card,
Memory Stick,
SmartMedia Card,
xD-Picture Card,
CompactFlash Card type II,
CompactFlash Card type I,
MultiMediaCard,
MultiMediaCardplus,
Microdrive .
m
l
May 15, 2011 7:58:47 PM

valcore said:
oo it must be SATA then I guess, And I got a GT220.

Does a Good GPU make up for a bad CPU? Because I might just pickup a much better Graphics card instead. Thank you :love: 

Well, once again I'm no gaming expert, but I have read frequently that the GPU is every bit as important as the CPU. I have a gt210 which is rather poor and a gt240 in another system which is so-so. I wouldn't expect either card to perform well on intensive first person shooter games and such. A new graphics card may help.

I would request responses from gamers out there who might shed more light on this...
m
l
May 15, 2011 11:51:21 PM

Well then I will shed some light lol,
invest whatever amount of money you have into graphics, if that amount is more than $200, get a Athlon x3 and a new board, and buy a $100 card, something along the line of a 450.
m
l
May 16, 2011 1:18:16 AM

szbxa said:
Well then I will shed some light lol,
invest whatever amount of money you have into graphics, if that amount is more than $200, get a Athlon x3 and a new board, and buy a $100 card, something along the line of a 450.

What's the best GPU I can get with $100?
m
l
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
May 16, 2011 1:54:14 AM

It's backward compatible.
m
l
!