Sign in with
Your question

Wierd pc problems really need help

Last response: in Components
May 15, 2011 8:20:41 AM

ok so i have some weird pc problems that i would really like to get figured out
1.)my video card seems to be "over working" the fan gets insanely loud and does so in bursts usually when im playing games,which i mainly use my pc for,also while im playing a game it sometimes crashes and my head phones keeps this really loud buzzing noise that will not go away until i reboot my pc,im wondering if its time for a new video card,im running on the gtx 260 btw
2.) i just got the AMD phenom 2 cpu 3.2 quad core and i installed it fine but for some reason when i try to turn on my pc it shuts down after like 10 seconds,but if i try again it usually just boots up and loads fine,although i dont see anything on the screen until im prompted to enter my user password,sometimes i just unplug my keyboard and that does the trick too sometimes, i do hear clicking noises and then the screen shows up
-any ideas on what could be causing this? mybe i need a better power supply? im thinking i need to buy some new stuff but im unsure of what i need,any feed back would be great,thanks

More about : wierd problems

May 15, 2011 8:39:20 AM

can you provide more specs? it sounds like a video problem, reinstall your video and sound drivers, see if it works
May 15, 2011 9:48:35 AM

it sounds like your psu is working up..
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
May 15, 2011 2:12:19 PM

Also, what kind of temperatures do you hit under load
May 15, 2011 10:09:46 PM

im not sure how i would check the temp,this is my pc,i just added a new cpu,psu and video card,was running fine for about a year but the start up problem happened when i installed my new cpu,i want to say im running on a 700 watt power supply

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/product?cc=us&lc=en&...
May 15, 2011 10:37:00 PM

I doubt a compaq will have a 700watts PSU. Your system can handle couple upgrades but the product quality is poor. Did you cramp the GPU in the case? Hows the air flow inside the case?
May 16, 2011 1:15:20 AM

mentat3 said:
ok so i have some weird pc problems that i would really like to get figured out
1.)my video card seems to be "over working" the fan gets insanely loud and does so in bursts usually when im playing games,which i mainly use my pc for,also while im playing a game it sometimes crashes and my head phones keeps this really loud buzzing noise that will not go away until i reboot my pc,im wondering if its time for a new video card,im running on the gtx 260 btw
2.) i just got the AMD phenom 2 cpu 3.2 quad core and i installed it fine but for some reason when i try to turn on my pc it shuts down after like 10 seconds,but if i try again it usually just boots up and loads fine,although i dont see anything on the screen until im prompted to enter my user password,sometimes i just unplug my keyboard and that does the trick too sometimes, i do hear clicking noises and then the screen shows up
-any ideas on what could be causing this? mybe i need a better power supply? im thinking i need to buy some new stuff but im unsure of what i need,any feed back would be great,thanks

First of all

download core temp (google it) and run it to see idle temperatures on your CPU. If you don't see 60celsius plus..then go to step 2. IF you do see over 60C then remove your new cpu, place thermal paste properly, place cpu properly and LOCK the heatsink PROPERLY.

If cpu temp is fine, or if you fixed it the way i described, go to nvidia display options and see the gpu temp (should be around the overclocking features). Now you say while you play the fan of your gpu goes higher, thats normal, imagine you play a game and you get at some point loads of clouds and explosions, this tires the gpu, especially if you have high antialiasing modes on, and heats it alot, thus the fan automatically raises speed to keep your gpu under 80celsius about.

your last problem, pc isn't turning on all the times, it seems it is a PSU problem. Your power supply might not have good grounding connection . One thing to do is "deload " it before you turn it on. How you do that : you remove the power cable from the psu, and you press the on button of your pc. you will see a small try to turn on, but there is no power cable, so it will go off again. This is the "deloading" of the power remnants from your PSU. Turn off the PSU after from it's button and then plug the power cable. turn on the psu and turn on the pc. If now it opens properly you know your PSU isn't very good, or your power system / socket sucks. Maybe its time to spend some 100-200 bucks and get that UPS...

If that didn't help, i suggest you check your pc through a UPS or a new PSU to be sure...
May 16, 2011 9:32:19 AM

ok awesome i got about 37C for the cpu and i got 63C for the gpu
May 16, 2011 9:34:05 AM

maverick knight said:
I doubt a compaq will have a 700watts PSU. Your system can handle couple upgrades but the product quality is poor. Did you cramp the GPU in the case? Hows the air flow inside the case?

yeah the gpu is very cramped up in the case and i have no airflow other than the CPU and video cards fans running inside
May 16, 2011 9:51:54 AM

This might be offtopic but you should consider saving and try to build your own rig. Its really rewarding. Salvaging some of the hardware from that pc to a new build will save you some cash too. Like the hard drive and optic drive, not to mention the GPU. That compaq should last you a couple years, though.
May 16, 2011 3:21:33 PM

Is this a new installation or did you just replace youe cpu & video?
If so, you should reinstall your os.
!