Toshiba M45-S331

I did a lot of research on this laptop before I purchased it, and
everything I found was positive. But after just 2 weeks, I am
completely disgusted with this machine. All hardware related issues
which tech service cannot fix remotely. My next step is to ship the
machine back to them or return the thing altogether. Only one of the 3
USB ports work, the optical drive is terribly noisy, and the wireless
LAN card speed fluctuates and drop connections every 2-3 minutes
(extremely frustrating). I thought that by doing my homework before
making the purchase I would end up with a decent machine. No chance.
My advise to anyone looking for a decent laptop is to go with your gut.
If it has the features and capabilities you need then buy it. We have
about 40 old Toshiba laptops at my work, and they are tanks, but I
guess thay don't build them like the used to.
5 answers Last reply
More about toshiba s331

    Andrew wrote:
    > zofobill@yahoo.com wrote:
    > : I did a lot of research on this laptop before I purchased it, and
    > : everything I found was positive. But after just 2 weeks, I am
    > : completely disgusted with this machine. All hardware related
    issues
    > : which tech service cannot fix remotely. My next step is to ship
    the
    > : machine back to them or return the thing altogether. Only one of
    the 3
    > : USB ports work, the optical drive is terribly noisy, and the
    wireless
    > : LAN card speed fluctuates and drop connections every 2-3 minutes
    > : (extremely frustrating).
    >
    > FYI, some newer laptops have optical drives that have a "quiet" mode
    > where the drive will sacrifice some performance in exchange for more
    > quiet operation. My brother's Toshiba M55 has this feature - it did
    > work very well. Try looking for an option for this in the app tray.
    >
    > As for the wireless card...I have found that 802.11 equipment
    > unfortunately does not all talk to each other as well as it should.
    > The 802.11b mini-PCI wireless card in my Toshiba Satellite works well
    > with my old 802.11b Netgear WAP/router at home and also works well
    > with T-Mobile Hotspot equipment (which I assume is all 802.11b). But
    > with 802.11g equipment - which is supposed to be compatible with
    > 802.11b - I find I get frequent drop-outs and it is very frustrating.
    > I don't know whether it is my card, the 802.11g equipment, or both.
    >
    > Anyway...before blaming your laptop for the dropouts, you might
    > provide more specifics about how you are using it, with what
    > equipment, etc.
    >
    > Andrew
    > --
    > ----> Portland, Oregon, USA <----
    > ----> http://www.bizave.com <---- Photo Albums and Portland Info
    > ----> To Email me remove "MYSHOES" from email address

    I have a Lynksys router that can operate in both b or g modes. Besides
    the Intel wireless card is a g standard anyway. Believe me I've tried
    every imaginable setting, and it keeps dropping out. I have two other
    pc's using the Lynksys router and it's like they were wired, the
    connection never fails

    Andrew wrote:
    > zofobill@yahoo.com wrote:
    > : I have a Lynksys router that can operate in both b or g modes.
    Besides
    > : the Intel wireless card is a g standard anyway. Believe me I've
    tried
    > : every imaginable setting, and it keeps dropping out. I have two
    other
    > : pc's using the Lynksys router and it's like they were wired, the
    > : connection never fails
    >
    > Yes, and as I said, with my 802.11b card and my b router (and other
    > 802.11b WAP/routers), my connection is solid, but on 802.11g/b
    > routers, it is flakey. Just because your old machine's card likes
    > your linksys doesn't mean your new one will automatically...
    >
    > Have you tried updating the firmware in the linksys router?
    >
    > Have you run Windows Update on the laptop to get all the latest
    > Windows patches? (do you have XP SP2?). How about making sure you
    > have the latest drivers for your laptop from the Toshiba and for your
    > card from Intel? A laptop purchased last week might still have
    > drivers that are months old if there have been recent updates.
    >
    > Andrew
    > --
    > ----> Portland, Oregon, USA <----
    > ----> http://www.bizave.com <---- Photo Albums and Portland Info
    > ----> To Email me remove "MYSHOES" from email address

    Yes, I have done all of that and more. XPSP2 in installed. Thought it
    may have been SP2's firewall but problem still exists when disabled. I
    re-installed the drivers even though they were at the latest rev. Also
    updated the Linksys firmware even though my other devices are fine. I
    have a pocket PC with built in wireless, and the connection never
    fails. I appreciate your attempt at helping me on this but I am not
    really looking for help for my wireless connection, I will use the
    RJ-45 connection. My primary concern was the USB ports anyway. My
    original message was simply to trash Toshiba, thats all.

    zofobill@yahoo.com wrote:
    : Yes, I have done all of that and more. XPSP2 in installed. Thought it
    : may have been SP2's firewall but problem still exists when disabled. I
    : re-installed the drivers even though they were at the latest rev. Also
    : updated the Linksys firmware even though my other devices are fine. I
    : have a pocket PC with built in wireless, and the connection never
    : fails. I appreciate your attempt at helping me on this but I am not
    : really looking for help for my wireless connection, I will use the
    : RJ-45 connection. My primary concern was the USB ports anyway. My
    : original message was simply to trash Toshiba, thats all.

    Well, yours is only one data point. We could find similar stories
    about every laptop manufacturer out there, you know? If we listened
    to every "trash Toshiba/Dell/Gateway/IBM/HP/Sony/Apple" post, no one
    would ever buy a laptop!

    FWIW, I have a Toshiba Satellite and am very happy with it. My
    brother has a Toshiba A55 and is very happy with it. Not everyone has
    had the poor experience you have had with yours.

    Andrew
    --
    ----> Portland, Oregon, USA <----

Laptops