2 computers show different internet speed

checesar

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2010
Hello,
I just upgraded to ATT u-verse that provides Internet access to my home.

My nominal internet speed is 12 MBps (download) and 1.4 MBps (upload).

I have 2 computers on my desk,a PC (INTEL QX9650 3.0GHZ 12MB QUAD) with Windows XP and wireless with a
GIGABYTE 802.11G 54MBP WIRELESS PCI card and a MacBook Pro unit.

I tested the internet speed with www.speakeasy.net for both units and these are the results:

Macbook Pro: 11.40 Mbps (download) and 1.44 Mbps (upload).
PC: 4.00 Mbps (download) and 1.42 Mbps (upload).

Please note that the upload speed is about the same for both units, but the download speed for the PC is about 3 times slower than for the Mac.

If I shutdown the Mac the results are the same.If I shutdown the Bit Defender firewall in the PC the results are the same.

Is there anyway that you can help to resolve the problem?

Thanks, Cesar

That's a huge difference and as usual, the MAC way out-performs the Windows system. To eliminate the possibility of the PCI card being flawed or inadequate, can you temporarily cable the PC to the router and test again? You might gain something back if you de-clutter the PC using CCleaner from http://www.piriform.com but I doubt that will increase speed by 7Mbps. [/#000ff]

IFLATLINEI

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2010
Wireless is best for mobile devices. Using it for a desktop isnt helping things. Plus Xp can and needs to be optimized to your internet connection to get the best performance. You can find all sorts of usefull information on this subject at www.broadbandreports.com

Windows XP was designed to work with all sorts of internet connections and needs. Its a compromise and not ideal for really anyone. This was fixed in Vista.