Sign in with
Your question

Poor performance for a good configuration

Last response: in Components
May 15, 2011 9:24:55 AM

Hello,

I've often noticed some brand PC's perform better than in-house built ones, even if their configuration is less performant. I suppose the secret is better matching of the components, timings, etc.

I've recently built a PC based on a ASUS PH55-M MB + i3 540 CPU + 2 GB DDR3 + WS 500 GB SATA HDD.
It sounds pretty well and it should replace an older Pentium IV based SQL server for a small network.
Howeved it's performance is MUCH lower than the old PC :??: 
The only issue it comes to my mind at the moment is the fact I am using ONE 2 GB module and I will try to use
two 1 GB modules instead. I hope that will help but any other idea is wellcome :) 

Thank you,
Daniel
May 15, 2011 9:38:54 AM

Hello and welcome to the forums
Can you explain more about the slowdown ? in what tasks does your new PC feels slower ?
May 15, 2011 10:14:18 AM

The machine stands as a MSDE Engine SQL server for an accounting application.
I have changed the old Pentiun based machine with this one (no network changes) and
the tasks on the work stations (viewing accounting info) perform much slower!

Thank you,
Daniel
Related resources
May 15, 2011 2:15:52 PM

There should be absolutely no difference between 1x2 and 2x1 gb RAM.
May 15, 2011 3:25:29 PM

It's strange,try doing a clean install of windows and see if it helps(there might be some registry problems causing slow downs)
May 15, 2011 4:57:37 PM

kajabla said:
There should be absolutely no difference between 1x2 and 2x1 gb RAM.

dual channel ?
May 15, 2011 4:58:51 PM

Maziar said:
It's strange,try doing a clean install of windows and see if it helps(there might be some registry problems causing slow downs)

I'll try, thank you!

I'll be back :D 
!