What is my bottleneck?

Tags:
  • Homebuilt
  • Bottleneck
  • CPUs
  • Systems
Last response: in Systems
February 13, 2011 5:48:13 PM

So I feel like my CPU is my bottleneck right now and I just wanted to get a few opinions from the net to see if it is worth it for me to just get a better CPU, or save up a few months and get a new rig.

I have not yet overclocked anything kinda of a newb at OCing so not much luck getting anything stable.

In 3d mark 06 I get ~15k in single GPU mode, but when I turn on cross fire I only get a 2k point boost, and what research I've done says maybe I need a better CPU to drive crossfire to its max. Anyway, what do you guys think? Would I notice a significant gaming boost by getting maybe a Phenom II X4 970 black edition? Or is something else like my mobo bottlenecking me?

Phenom II X4 945
2x XFX Radeon HD 4890 in Crossfire
MSI 790GX-G65 motherboard
4GB Corsair Dominator DDR3
Corsair TX850W PSU

More about : bottleneck

February 13, 2011 9:00:38 PM

3dmark 06 is old and VERY VERY dependant on your CPUs speed, dont trust that thing. use vantage instead :)  i think your system is nice and nothing really should be a bottleneck. if you want you could OC the CPU a little.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
a b à CPUs
February 13, 2011 10:33:59 PM

Nothing at all wrong with your setup, you CPU is fine for the GPU's you have. 3D mark 06? Well, with that CPU and GPU, you should get a little better than 15, close to 16 would have been my guess. Crossfire benefits vary from game to game, so benchmarks don't mean a whole lot. Question is, how does it do for you in the games you play?
m
l