No keyboard or mouse function in XP with new motherboard

merkaba8

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2011
Hey guys,

First time poster, thanks in advance for any help you might be able to offer.

I just upgraded the mobo, processor, RAM, and GPU in my system. I am still using my previous HDD with an installation of Windows XP 32bit until my Windows 7 CD comes in, at which point I am installing new HDD also.

The problem I am having is that after replacing the hardware, I can get the system to boot fully, but I have no keyboard or mouse function in Windows. I can load into Safe Mode, enter BIOS, etc. so the computer is recognizing the keyboard, but Windows is losing it when it loads.

I have not run the CD that came with the motherboard because 1) I don't have a functioning optical drive and 2) once the motherboard is installed, I have no ability to do anything in Windows w/o keyboard and mouse.

I should say that they are both wired USB devices, and that I have tried all possible USB ports (including the ports in the front of the tower which connect to a totally different part of the mobo, so I don't think it's a problem with the back end of the board or anything).

A lot of websites suggest using the Windows XP repair install, which I could do, if I had an optical drive. Does anyone know a work around?

Most help I have seen on the internet for similar questions involves XP not wanting to boot off the old HDD. Mine seems to boot just fine, but then I don't have keyboard or mouse to install drivers etc.

I also tried to download the drivers from the Gigabyte website and install them on the old build (which still functions if I hook it up to the HDD, and then running the HDD off the new build, but that didn't seem to fix it either. XP detects all the new hardware (mouse,keyboard,ICE device, etc) but I can't actually tell it to update the drivers.

Sorry for being so long winded, I hope this doesn't discourage responses, but I figured it would save time on speculation or obvious answers.

Wes

Dogsnake

Distinguished
Buy an optical drive (http://www.newegg.com/Store/SubCategory.aspx?SubCategory=5&name=CD-DVD-Burners&Order=PRICE). Note the many drives priced $15-$20 US. You probably need to install the new MB chip-set drivers. These permit the OS to recognize the hardware devices.

What chipset did the previous system use? What chipset does the new system use?

Since the USB ports are managed by the south bridge chipset and you didn't install drivers to support the new chipset the Operating System is unable to communicate with any devices attached to the south bridge chipset.

Can you install the chipset driver in Safe Mode that you downloaded from Gigabyte?