ASRock 939N68PV-GLAN and Graphic Card Compatibility for Wow

Tags:
  • ASRock
  • World Of Warcraft
  • Motherboards
Last response: in Motherboards
January 16, 2012 1:16:53 PM

Hello all

Due to my gaming laptop dying and not wanting to buy a new system until Ivybridge arrives in April/May, I'm trying to improve an old desktop to run at more than 5fps in WoW and need to replace the integrated graphics solution.

My PC has an Athlon 64 3500+ processor, 3Gb RAM, a 500w PSU and the motherboard is an ASRock 939N68PV-GLAN circa 2008. These components are in a full sized tower case. My monitor is only 19" and I'm fine with lower resolutions. (easier on my aging eyes ;P )

Would this motherboard/system be compatible with a Radeon HD 5670 or would such a card be overkill with such an old single core processor? Any other graphics card suggestions for a budget of under £60 are welcome.

Many thanks in advance for any help.

More about : asrock 939n68pv glan graphic card compatibility wow

a b Ý World of Warcraft
a c 233 V Motherboard
January 16, 2012 2:12:29 PM

Yes, a HD5670 should perform just fine on your system. While not a gaming GPU, it will perform MUCH better than the integrated video you have. Playability with WoW will not be a problem. Just don't crank the graphics settings too high.

Good luck!
January 16, 2012 2:14:59 PM

That's marvellous - thank you for a lovely quick response.

I will get it ordered poste haste! :D 
January 17, 2012 11:00:51 AM

Actually WoW is very cpu heavy. It is designed for people with smaller GPU's. Increasing the GPU will only help so much.

My system is an Athlon 64 x2 4400+, and my graphics card is an HD 4870. I was recently having a bottle neck issue that was causing my system to perform poorly in the 25 man LFR.

Until at which time I can build a new system I replaced my mother board which eliminated the bottleneck. I now get a playable frame rate in lfr, but I am not sure its all that much more than 5 at times. In the normal areas its around 30-35.

!