Grinding noise coming from PSU on occasion.

wehtam1062

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2011
Okay so I built a new computer just a few months ago, but now I'm occasionally getting this weird grinding noise from the back of the computer. For the first month or so, I had no problems, but now, occasionally when I start the computer from sleep mode, I get a weird grinding sound from what I'm pretty sure is the PSU. It almost sounds like the noise that comes from an electrical pencil sharpener (more low pitched though). When i knock the back I/O panel with my hand, the grinding noise stops for a second, but then it starts back up maybe a couple seconds later. This process repeats itself maybe 3 or 4 times, until it finally stops making the sound. Since knocking the PSU seems to correct the problem for a few seconds, I think it might be a bad PSU fan or something, but I would like some advice from the pros here.

Anyway, here is the the spec for the power supply I bought. http://www.diablotek.com/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=tpflypage.tpl&product_id=37&category_id=3&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=53
I actually bought the product off of amazon here: http://www.amazon.com/Diablotek-500-Watt-Power-Supply-PSDA500/dp/B001P92AA8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1305470961&sr=8-1

I know Diablotek isn't known for making the highest quality power supplies, but it did come with a warranty (which I may have to use if it comes to it) and ive only been using the power supply for a few months (no overclocking). Thanks for the help in advance.

Noworldorder

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2011
Remove the PSU from the case. Connect a fan to any molex plug so there is a load on the PSU. Jump a paper clip from the green wire to any black wire on the 20 / 24 pin main connector. Plug in and turn on the PSU.
If the grinding sound repeats, RMA the PSU for a replacement.

There's only one thing that would produce a grinding noise in a psu = the fan / bearing
If any kind of a cost is incurred by yourself to rma it, my advice is to cut your loses and buy a better brand name psu.
Seriously a Corsair CX430W costs the same.
I just got one for $29.99 for a clients build last week..

So i guess my Corsair HX750 built by CWT is of dubious quality lol!
I think i understand what your implying about the CX series.
Obviously something wasn't up to standards, therefore the new CXV2 series is released a very short time later.
Still can't knock Corsair for that at least they're on the ball.
I can name alot of very well known companies that keep churning out shite year after year without even attempting to improve the end product.
Btw i've seen the new CX430W V2 for $35 = obviously an improved design and 1yr extra on the warranty.

Noworldorder

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2011
In full agreement. Corsair makes it easier to champion for them when they are noble, like Intel was (mostly) with Cougar Point, and set about rectifying [pun] their problems.
Still would love to know who's making the V2s though...I don't think it's Seasonic.