Motherboards bios

tenbels

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2009
I've seen a few problems like mine on the boards but never a satisfactory resolution. My problem started with a frozen screen. I did have a few windows open and i was listening to music and surfing at the time. Upon restart case light came on, M/B power light came on, fans on psu, cpu and graphics card all spun up as well as hard drive, but no post beep. Long story short is that I have done everything recommended on various forums, like resetting the Cmos via the jumpers, taking out the CMOS battery, replacing the CMOS battery, changing the PSU etc. and am now at the stage where I have the M/B stripped out of the case on the workbench with just the psu, one stick of memory, Graphics card, Hard drive, mouse and keyboard. Strange thing is computer WILL post with default Bios settings when CMOS battery removed, go through bios setup routine, launch Windows and run perfectly normally. But as son as I put the battery back, nothing, no post beep, nothing, just spinning fans. Has the Bios Chip got corrupted? I am at a loss. Can't RMA the M/B as its an Ebay job. All the Caps look sound. Is it worth replacing the BIOS chip as they're fairly cheap or is the M/B toast?? Does anyone know anything I can try??

System is:

Motherboard: ASUS A8N-E
Bios: Phoenix Tech. Ltd ACPI rev.1013
PSU: CIT 750W ATX Power Supply
CPU: Athlon64 3500+
Graphics Card: Radeon HD4670
Hard drive: 750GB WD Caviar Green