Realtek Front Panel Problem

Well I installed a new update driver for my realtek hd audio soundcard. Its onboard. Well before i installed the update I could change the front panel devices from Microphone to Line in. And back and forth but now I can since I installed the new Update. The Realtek audio manager isn't letting me set the connected device on the front panel jacks.
http://www.biostar.com.tw/app/en/mb/content.php?S_ID=370
heres my mobo.
My mobo doesn't allow AC'97 and for some reason the AC'97 was plugged into the front panel audio header so i switched it to the HDAUDIO cable from my case. It detects whats plugged in now but i still can't change my connected device in my front panel.

how can i enable it?

example of what came out when i double clicked the front panel jacks on the manager.
17 answers Last reply
More about realtek front panel problem
  1. This probably not the answer you wanted but
    why not uninstall the new driver/reinstall old
    then connect the cable the way it was?

    Were you having problems before?
    What was the reason for upgrading the driver?

    It is usually good to have latest drivers
    but not all the time

    really if a device works just the way you want to
    then there is no reason to update

    "if it aint broke, dont fix it"

    now what is confusing me is in second picture
    it shows line in and rear speaker out
    with the rear speaker out checked off

    since it is an input it should have line in and mic as choices

    also did you try setting the input you want as a default?

    also I see you have something disabled in first picture
    what is disabled?
  2. king smp said:
    This probably not the answer you wanted but
    why not uninstall the new driver/reinstall old
    then connect the cable the way it was?

    Were you having problems before?
    What was the reason for upgrading the driver?

    It is usually good to have latest drivers
    but not all the time

    really if a device works just the way you want to
    then there is no reason to update

    "if it aint broke, dont fix it"

    now what is confusing me is in second picture
    it shows line in and rear speaker out
    with the rear speaker out checked off

    since it is an input it should have line in and mic as choices

    also did you try setting the input you want as a default?

    also I see you have something disabled in first picture
    what is disabled?


    second picture was showing the line in device at the back of my case which is set to my 5.1 surround sound. i was trying to show an example of what it looked like when i selected the 2 front panel devices but now i cant.
    well it was kind of a mistake updating it but i tried using the old drivers no good.
    The problem is the front panel devices. It wouldn't let me choose line in or Mic in like it did before. i want to change the mic in on the front panel to a line in device. it doesn't let me have the option anymore.
  3. is it possible your front panel sockets are not HD audio compatible? or perhaps the new driver disables the ability of line in from the front panel sockets simply...
  4. beetlejuicegr said:
    is it possible your front panel sockets are not HD audio compatible? or perhaps the new driver disables the ability of line in from the front panel sockets simply...

    no its hd audio compatible. i just dont know why it wont let me change one of them to line in. Look at the first picture it says line in at front panel i want the manager to set it to that.
  5. in the first picture what is disabled?
  6. king smp said:
    in the first picture what is disabled?

    line in at front panel (green) i remember there was a pink one too its not there anymore. it only shows up when i set the front panel mic in to line in. but right now i cant change devices with the front panel.
    Heres a simpler way of saying it i cant retask the front panel anymore its set to its default.
  7. Wow
    I would go into device manager and select the Realtek audio
    then rollback the driver to prior driver if it lets you
    if that doesnt work then uninstall your realtek
    delete the new driver

    Did you install the original driver that worked
    or did windows do it automatically at install

    because if you uninstall the new driver
    then erase it
    windows should install the original driver

    there is driver sweeper freeware to get rid of drivers
    also can go into windows folder system32 and delete manually
    but you got to be sure which one you are deleting
  8. king smp said:
    Wow
    I would go into device manager and select the Realtek audio
    then rollback the driver to prior driver if it lets you
    if that doesnt work then uninstall your realtek
    delete the new driver

    Did you install the original driver that worked
    or did windows do it automatically at install

    because if you uninstall the new driver
    then erase it
    windows should install the original driver

    there is driver sweeper freeware to get rid of drivers
    also can go into windows folder system32 and delete manually
    but you got to be sure which one you are deleting


    ok ill try that.
  9. red_faith123 said:
    ok ill try that.


    i will be at the computer for the next couple of hours if you are doing it now and have questions

    though fair warning
    I am just a lowly hardware tech who repairs/refurbishes/virus cleans/os installs older towers

    I am not a college trained computer engineer LOL

    I will do my best though......
  10. king smp said:
    i will be at the computer for the next couple of hours if you are doing it now and have questions

    though fair warning
    I am just a lowly hardware tech who repairs/refurbishes/virus cleans/os installs older towers

    I am not a college trained computer engineer LOL

    I will do my best though......

    ill have to do this tomorrow ill update you and see if it works.
  11. Nope I still can't re-task the front panel connectors. Its not letting me anymore :(
  12. red_faith123 said:
    Nope I still can't re-task the front panel connectors. Its not letting me anymore :(


    You removed the new driver completely?
    because unless it is removed completely windows will keep reinstalling that one
  13. Ya i used driver sweeper
  14. Was updated driver from MS Updates or was from Realtek website?
    Is it possible to find older version Realtek driver?
  15. king smp said:
    Was updated driver from MS Updates or was from Realtek website?
    Is it possible to find older version Realtek driver?

    I used the one on the biostar website thats for my mobo.
  16. Goodnight (2:30am)
    Check back tomorrow (today?)
Ask a new question

Read More

Sound Cards Realtek Front Panel Audio Devices Components