Updrading

My current specs:

CPU: E8400 3ghz
GPU: HD4870
Mobo: Asus PK5PL/1600
PSU:460W Corsair

My New Planned specs:

CPU: Quad Q8400 4 x 2.66Ghz
GPU: GTX 295
Mobo: Asus PK5PL/1600
PSU: 650W Corsair - http://www.amazon.co.uk/Corsair-Power-Supply-Version-CMPSU-650TXUK/dp/B000Z7KHLA/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1297633040&sr=1-2

Thats my plan i think everything is alright, thought id just run it through here first.

Cheers,
14 answers Last reply
More about updrading
  1. what is your budget on the upgrade? and monitor resolution?
  2. Fudsine said:
    My current specs:

    CPU: E8400 3ghz
    GPU: HD4870
    Mobo: Asus PK5PL/1600
    PSU:460W Corsair

    My New Planned specs:

    CPU: Quad Q8400 4 x 2.66Ghz
    GPU: GTX 295
    Mobo: Asus PK5PL/1600
    PSU: 650W Corsair - http://www.amazon.co.uk/Corsair-Power-Supply-Version-CMPSU-650TXUK/dp/B000Z7KHLA/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1297633040&sr=1-2

    Thats my plan i think everything is alright, thought id just run it through here first.

    Cheers,



    what up with all the old LGA 775 socket stuff?
  3. No reason to upgrade from one 775 system to another one. It's 2 generations old. Same story on the Video Card. For the same budget you could get a much better system on an AM3 or 1155 board.

    You didn't mention RAM, OS or monitor resolution, but assuming you are good there, (~4GB and a 1920*1080 display or better) You should be looking at a phenom X4 BE or a 2500K based system depending on your budget.

    Look at some other build requests (or the sticky) and fill out the info.
  4. low budget i got about £300 too spend

    OS is vista 32bit
    RAM is 4gb
    and monitor resolution is 1920x1080
  5. Note for those playing along at home:
    300 British pounds sterling = 481.9800 US dollars

    This is a tight upgrade budget, so you need to be careful to target the money where it will make the most improvement.

    So far you're showing minor upgrades to your CPU (from dual core E8400 -> to quad core Q8400), your GPU (HD4870 to GTX 295) and your power supply (from 460W Corsair to 650W Corsair).

    It's possible that you're spreading your budget too thin trying to cover a wide range, rather than diving deeply into the area that will help the most. So if possible some more specifics might help us
    What is it, specifically, that your current build is not doing well enough for you? There are some applications or games that require more CPU power, and some that are light on CPU but heavy on GPU.

    The reason I ask is that your CPU jump is small, and your GPU jump is small. You might notice more impact if you did a bigger jump on one or the other... depending on what it is that your lacking right now.

    You also may want to look into pairing your 4870 with a mating card and put them into Crossfire config. That way you get a bump in performance, but for less money because you're not walking away from the money you already spent on your existing card. Then you could take that savings and put in into your CPU budget.
  6. CopaMundial said:
    Note for those playing along at home:
    300 British pounds sterling = 481.9800 US dollars

    This is a tight upgrade budget, so you need to be careful to target the money where it will make the most improvement.

    So far you're showing minor upgrades to your CPU (from dual core E8400 -> to quad core Q8400), your GPU (HD4870 to GTX 295) and your power supply (from 460W Corsair to 650W Corsair).

    It's possible that you're spreading your budget too thin trying to cover a wide range, rather than diving deeply into the area that will help the most. So if possible some more specifics might help us
    What is it, specifically, that your current build is not doing well enough for you? There are some applications or games that require more CPU power, and some that are light on CPU but heavy on GPU.

    The reason I ask is that your CPU jump is small, and your GPU jump is small. You might notice more impact if you did a bigger jump on one or the other... depending on what it is that your lacking right now.

    You also may want to look into pairing your 4870 with a mating card and put them into Crossfire config. That way you get a bump in performance, but for less money because you're not walking away from the money you already spent on your existing card. Then you could take that savings and put in into your CPU budget.


    My CPU is broken so i need to replace it.

    And a second 4870 in crossfire probably wont quite match up to a GTX 295.

    My PSU isnt big enough for a better performing CPU and GPU.
  7. i would try to get these

    Asus GTX 460 1GB DirectCU
    http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=GX-236-AS

    Amd Phenom X4 955 BE
    http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=CP-244-AM

    MSI 870A-G54
    http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=MB-134-MS

    awesome bang for buck and your PSU should be able to power these things.
  8. ^ Something like that would be something to look at, but RAM would put you a bit over-budget, if you sold your 4870 you could be ok, though.

    Honestly in your budget I wouldn't worry about replacing the video card , You would be better served by making the transition to 1155 or AM3. 1155 Will be around for a bit longer, and AM3 is a bit cheaper.

    I would personally buy a 2500K, a decent 1155 motherboard (With IDE if you need it) and 4GB DDR3.

    AM3 is not a bad choice either, and would leave you with some cash in your pocket, for the (down the road) graphics upgrade, but the 1155 will be around for longer.
  9. ok scrap all of that im going for a rethink im going to add in these components instead.

    I7 920

    SI X58M Intel X58 (Socket 1366) PCI-Express mATX DDR3 Motherboard

    a 700w PSU (Undecided on the brand)

    and il buy a new GPU laster in the year, anyone see any problems?
  10. Only problem I see is that you have 4 GB ram, likely 2x2 - and your X58 board uses triple channel, so you'd want to look at getting an extra stick of ram that matches what you have already.
  11. jfreggie said:
    Only problem I see is that you have 4 GB ram, likely 2x2 - and your X58 board uses triple channel, so you'd want to look at getting an extra stick of ram that matches what you have already.


    You mean replace my DDR2 with some DDR3 sticks?
  12. Yeah, if you're moving up to X58, you're going to need to get DDR3, and buy a triple channel set. You might be better off considering an AM3 build instead.
  13. I notice that's a Micro ATX motherboard.
    Are you selecting that based on your case size?
  14. you would see a much bigger jump in performance by going with the parts i suggested because you got a 1080P resolution. the phenom II X4 955 is a very good gaming CPU for the money and your resolution needs a better GPU than a 4870 to play games at really good graphics settings.
Ask a new question

Read More

Homebuilt Asus GPUs CPUs Systems