Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Sort of Newb building a new gaming PC...processor question

Last response: in CPUs
May 16, 2011 1:35:08 AM

Hello,
I'm building a new gaming PC. I was up on my tech about 5 years ago but kind of got out of the world of computers for awhile. What does "Integrated Memory Controller Speed" mean? I was looking at the AMD Phenom II X6 1100T Black Edition and comparing it with other 6 core AMDs. they all list things under that above component, but the 100T does not. what does it mean and should it matter to me?
a c 93 à CPUs
May 16, 2011 1:50:27 AM

I believe that refers to the supported memory speeds that the onboard memory controller would support. The Black Edition has the unlocked multiplier that would make it easier to overclock, the integrated memory controller speed might not be listed on that processor because your memory speeds mat vary your memory speeds based on how high you overclock your processor.

If all you are going to do is game, there really isn't any point in getting a six core CPU. No games available currently will use more than four cores. You'd probably be better off getting the quad core version and put the extra cash towards a more powerful graphics card.
Score
a c 85 à CPUs
a b 4 Gaming
May 16, 2011 1:55:04 AM

5 years ago when a CPU needed some info from ram, it sent a memory request down the FSB to the northbridge where the memory controller is located. IBM/AMD moved the memory controller out of the NB and onto the CPU. Now when the CPU needs something out of ram it just asked the ram. This can make getting info from ram a lot faster, depending on the speed of the buses.

I believe all current AMD CPUs use a 2GHz NB speed. I think they had a few that ran at 1.8GHz, but those would be on older CPUs. I wouldn't worry about the IMC speed.
Score
Related resources

Best solution

a c 127 à CPUs
a b 4 Gaming
May 16, 2011 2:17:30 AM

Well the IMC speed for a Phenom II is also known as HTT (Hyper Transport). It links the CPU to the memory directly instead of having to go through the North Bridge. Its faster and more efficient.

As said, all Phenom IIs have a 2GHz HTT link, some are 1.8GHz and a few are 2.2GHz.

Intel based chips, Core i series and up use whats called QPI or DMI. QPI is a memory link that supports 2.4GHz, 2.93GHz or 3.2GHz and memory speeds of up to 25.6GB/s. DMI is up to 20GB/s.

Here is a article from AMD:

http://developer.amd.com/documentation/articles/Pages/1...

As said, you don't need to worry about it that much. Its really fast and for gaming, it wont be as important as the GPU and resolution.
July 11, 2012 4:24:46 AM

Best answer selected by foxhound7.
Score
a b à CPUs
a b 4 Gaming
July 11, 2012 9:36:23 AM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
Score
!