Sign in with
Your question

4870x2 Flicker causing fps drop

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
December 14, 2010 9:57:10 AM

Right here it is you may have heard of a similar problem before but mine is well seemingly not fixable...

I recently updated my 4870x2 saphire with 10.10 drivers, however when i did in every game i play after thirty seconds the screen will flicker fps will drop to about one it will flicker again then the screen will go back to decent fps, however the same thing happens every few seconds now and now again. Now from what i can see this is obviously an issue with rendering 3d objects ingame, as it only happens ingame.

So what i did was to revert back to my old drivers and wait for 10.12 to come out. However supprisingly the problem kept happeing even though I had reverted. So I uninstalled the ati drivers, then used driver sweeper/cleaner in safe mode to clear up any old remnents then installed the old drivers once again (while deleting anything by ati last modfied recently as well), but this did no use either and the problem continues. Today I downloaded 10.12, and....same problem once again, the new CCC is good as well by the looks of it but no change to my problem. I read of similar problems other places where they were saying it maybe crossfire so disable ATI catylist, but this did nothing nor did any other setting i changed. I've downloaded ati tray tools as well, and it has done nothing.

So I come to these forums running or ran out of idea's to fix my screen flicker/fps drop. I was hoping maybe invien that someone could shed some light on the situation for me as ati support havent really supported me as of yet. All i can think of now is reverting back to 2009 drivers, or system restore or windows reinstall.

(note my specs are in my sig)

Kind Regards Jeza
a b \ Driver
December 14, 2010 11:15:01 AM

Open CCC>3D>All settings> make sure "Disable Catalyst AI" is checked
December 14, 2010 11:34:40 AM

Yup as mentioned above have done that, and tried ingame.... same outcome.
Related resources
a b \ Driver
December 14, 2010 3:59:29 PM

hmm,It could be a driver issue.Is it possible for you to re-install your OS ?
December 14, 2010 4:38:03 PM

well i'm sure it is as it only happend when i downloaded the latest drivers at the time. Um yes i suppose if worst comes to worse it can be done.
a b \ Driver
December 15, 2010 10:42:10 AM

The reason I'm said to re-install the OS is that maybe your ran in to some problems while installing the latest driver which was even solved buy using the driver sweeper/other cleaning methods.
December 16, 2010 6:16:54 PM

Could well be, however i read on amd forums a few people have reinstalled windows reinserted the card ect but to no avail so...pritty stuck at the moment.
December 18, 2010 8:56:14 PM

Pritty sure now hearing other peoples problems and a few videos similar to my problem. And feeling the card after the comp has only been on for 5mins, the tempreture is massive even at idle so, to me it looks like its an overheating problem. Any tips on how to keep it cool would be nice, as iv already put up fan speed to 100% the whole time now. However looks like i'll be getting my hands on gtx 570 so for the first time ill be swapping over to nvidia, to many issue with ati the past 6years!
a b \ Driver
December 19, 2010 11:04:01 AM

What are your idle/load temps ?
December 19, 2010 4:52:07 PM

Idle 80deg's
Ingame 98degs to 110
fan speed set to 100% at all times now as it just gets way to hot if not.
December 19, 2010 4:57:33 PM

Had similar driver related issues with 2 x 4850's - reverted to 10.3 actually and it works so much better, so unless you need the newer optimizations that might be a solution
December 19, 2010 5:03:08 PM

Yer heard a few similar, i reverted back even to 9.12, but seemingly this is an overheating issue.
a b \ Driver
December 19, 2010 5:49:22 PM

wow,that's too high.
Have you tried cleaning the card itself ?
December 19, 2010 6:32:03 PM

yer had a little go, got main bits out however, its clipped in pritty well so only want to take out once the gtx 570 arrives to be safe.
April 22, 2011 5:35:43 PM

I have the same sort of problems with my 4870x2. Tried lots of things including disk fromat and re-installing OS. The only way I can run Empire Total War and Shogun 2 properly, is to run them in windowed mode (ingame, options, graphics, windowed). Works well even at 1920 x 1200 although I lose some screen space at the edges.
April 22, 2011 5:39:17 PM

Fixed it mate, its (for me) was the dirty and clog dust ect within the card, which causes it to do that, undcrew every screw to get into the heat sync blocks, on the side of one closest to the fan should be filled with dust and cloggy stuff, clean that, and clean the second heat sync block and you'll be as good as new! :) 
!