Which Harddrives for my build for Video Editing?

JoeSmyle

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2011
Hi,

My first computer build, and with quite a bit of research already, I've come up with the following components to purchase (have only bought the tower, so far). My specific questions center around which harddrive configuration I should use for video editing in Adobe Creative Suite 5 (CS5).

CPU: Intel Core i7 950; MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-X58A-UD3R (rev. 2); GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX470 Superclocked; PSU: Corsair Professional Series Gold High Performance 850-Watt; Optical#1:Lite-On LightScribe IHAS424-98; Optical#2: Model: GGW-H20L LG Blu-ray Disc Burner; OS: Windows 7 Pro, 64bit; RAM:CORSAIR DOMINATOR 12GB (3 x 4GB) 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model CMP12GX3M3A1600C9.

So now, my final issue is giving attention to my harddrive setup, and I've never worked with RAID before. I'm leaning toward RAID 0, however, even though I know the risk of losing data should one drive fail.

The MOBO supports RAID, no problem. Video editing generally requires the OS on one harddrive and video files on a 2nd internal harddrive. That's the way it was in the past anyway. Here's what I'm thinking regarding my new build:

OS = (2 in RAID 0) Western Digital Caviar Blue WD1600AAJS 160GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal

VIDEO FILES: Exactly the same.

So, that setup requires 4 each WD1600AAJS's in 2 each RAID 0's

(1) Does my MOBO support that? I mean, if I set up one RAID 0 for the OS, can I set up a second RAID 0 on my video-files drives--or is only one RAID 0 allowed?

Thank you very much for your very appreciated help! P.S. I have plenty of external storage once each video project is complete, so no problem there.

--Ken

Solution
Don't bother doing it that way.

Best idea would be to get a SSD to use as a boot disk/scratchdisk and then a large mechanical drive to use for storage. If you're concerned about data safety you can just have an external backup drive that you run a daily backup of files too. Much safer than RAID since only thing raid protects is HD failure. Backup protects from all the rest, IE virus, accidental deletion, etc.

banthracis

Distinguished
Don't bother doing it that way.

Best idea would be to get a SSD to use as a boot disk/scratchdisk and then a large mechanical drive to use for storage. If you're concerned about data safety you can just have an external backup drive that you run a daily backup of files too. Much safer than RAID since only thing raid protects is HD failure. Backup protects from all the rest, IE virus, accidental deletion, etc.

Solution

JoeSmyle

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2011

banthracis

Distinguished
SSD's by nature are different the HD's in that they are limited by pure bandwidth, unlike magnetic drives which are also limited by mechanical header read and move speeds. Therefor, as long as you get a good SSd, such as Sandforce or Intel, you won't have any issues using 1 ssd as a scratch drive + OS + programs files.

In fact, the new sandforce drives with read/write speeds ~500mb/s would effectively make the bottleneck not I/O or transfer speeds, but how quickly your software can create the files.

Phil Whickham

Honorable
Sep 12, 2012
I would avoid the whole issue and buy a SolidBox. Those guys have their setups dialed in without the guesswork of "will my mishmash workstation actually work?" First, you talk to an actual person about your budget and how you'll be using the computer and they point you in the right direction. I couldn't be happier with my Broadcast Series. I think they might be in Texas, which is a downer (go Giants!), but other than that...you get the idea.