Need Help for my First Build

Mudassir

Distinguished
Oct 17, 2010
I was planning to buy i5 2300 and Asus P8P67 Pro for my build when I came to know about Cougar Point SATA II problem. I know the issue would be fixed by April may be but I cant wait till then & I wont be able to Replace my Motherboard once I buy it for some reasons. I can still buy these components So there is no question of not being able to buy them as you might think the sales have been halted.

I would be running 2 HDDs & 1 ODD off SATA for now & aiming for SSD in near future. The Board has 2 x SATA III & 2 x SATA off Marvell controller (in addition to 4 x SATA II that could degrade over time) . I want your advice on following points:

1. Should I buy i5 2300 Or revert to i5 760 or some other 1156/1366 CPU ?

2. If I buy i5 2300 & P8P67 Pro then would I be able to run mentioned Components on the mentioned Ports or should I go with some other solution ?

3. If I run any component off Marvell Controller like ODD then would it effect the performance of component or would it perform alright ?

Solution
1. Your choice. Either one would result in an excellent system. As would an AMD build.
1156/1366/AM3 are all at a dead end - as in future CPUs will need either a 1155/1201/AM3+ motherboard.
2. The 3GB/s ports DO work. And they're unlikely to fail before your board is replaced through the recall program. It's a 'fail over time' probably, not an 'instant death' scenario.
3. It would perform fine. Otherwise they would have used something else there.
1. Your choice. Either one would result in an excellent system. As would an AMD build.
1156/1366/AM3 are all at a dead end - as in future CPUs will need either a 1155/1201/AM3+ motherboard.
2. The 3GB/s ports DO work. And they're unlikely to fail before your board is replaced through the recall program. It's a 'fail over time' probably, not an 'instant death' scenario.
3. It would perform fine. Otherwise they would have used something else there.

Solution

Mudassir

Distinguished
Oct 17, 2010

Thanks for your reply. But the point is I wont be able to get my Board replaced through the recall program because of the country I live in. So am I safe using those 4 x 6GB/s Ports for 2-3 years from now on.

erickoch

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2011
Yes Mudassir,

The timeframe for degradation is in years. Besides, there are PCI add-in sata cards that you can always resort to if failure of one or more sata2 ports disrupts your usage.

In fact, I believe that by contacting the manufacturer you can ask to have an add-in card instead of exchanging your motherboard - however you mentioned that for whatever reason, you are excluded from this option.

basically, if it were me, I would use the Sata3 ports for my harddrive(s) and optical drive. If you are looking at RAID, then maybe you'd have to squeeze your optical drive onto a sata2 port, however I can imagine that degradation would be VERY slow, given that most people don't use their optical drives often at all. In fact, I also believe that the ports controlled by a marvell controller aren't known to degrade - just the intel controlled ports. In this case, I would say put your 2 HDD's on sata 3, your optical on marvell sata2 - and in the future you still have the option of adding another sata device before you would have to resort to the intel sata2 ports.

Mudassir

Distinguished
Oct 17, 2010

Thanks erickoch.