Sign in with
Your question

$300 to spend... What should I get?

Last response: in Systems
February 14, 2011 5:28:41 AM

I received $300 for my birthday and I am going to use it to upgrade my current PC setup.

Things I'm considering:

SSD for boot drive
Second monitor
More RAM

What does everyone think? I'm open to suggestions. My computer is used primarily for gaming and schoolwork.

Specs are in signature.

More about : 300 spend

February 14, 2011 6:01:05 AM

Not much of a multi-monitor fan myself, I'd definitely go for a SSD. You might also consider getting another 5870 and doing Xfire. With $300 you could double your RAM and get a SSD if you wanted but SSD should be the priority IMO.

I hear the wribbs is broke charity is accepting donations btw :D 
m
l
February 14, 2011 6:10:47 AM

wribbs said:
Not much of a multi-monitor fan myself, I'd definitely go for a SSD. You might also consider getting another 5870 and doing Xfire. With $300 you could double your RAM and get a SSD if you wanted but SSD should be the priority IMO.

I hear the wribbs is broke charity is accepting donations btw :D 

Yea, an SSD would be great. I'm hesitant to purchase one right now as the new models are set to be released very soon.
m
l
Related resources
a b B Homebuilt system
February 14, 2011 11:41:05 AM

Swindlestikz said:
Yea, an SSD would be great. I'm hesitant to purchase one right now as the new models are set to be released very soon.

That's probably why the Kingston 128GB is on sale today (MIR, unfortunately, but it is $75)
http://www.newegg.com/Special/ShellShocker.aspx?cm_sp=S...
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
February 14, 2011 11:43:06 AM

Also, you won't really get anything from more RAM if your system isn't using all 6GB right now. The only reason I added 3GB extra was because I started using computational programs like Matlab and Mathematica to do long problems.
m
l
!