Looking for new video card

Hello, i am looking for a better video card for better graphics on games. I have listed my computer spec an any advice would be apriective.

RANGE: ~$500

USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: Main importance is gaming of all kinds. I constantly am changing from game to game, based on what is appealing at the time. Anywhere from WoW, League of Legends, Starcraft II, Minecraft, Call of Duty: Black Ops, etc. So a wide variety of games that all use GPUs and CPUs in a different way. Following gaming is high def video in 720/1080p (when available).

CURRENT GPU AND POWER SUPPLY: ATI Radeon HD 5500 series, Antec 1000w

OTHER RELEVANT SYSTEM SPECS: CPU - Intel core 2 quad Q6700 2.66 GHz stock speed, , Have an aftermarket heatsink/fan (Coolermaster 212), Mobo - Evga Neforce 780 Sli , RAM -Corsair DHX XMS2 Dominator 1g sticks x3 DDR2 800Mhz.

PARTS PREFERENCES: Personally I have no preference, whatever will compliment my current components the best. However, I would obviously take a $500 card over a $1000 which only slightly outperforms the cheaper.

MONITOR RESOLUTION: 1920 x 1080

ADDITIONAL COMMENTS: Main concern is bottlenecking. Not sure if the 580 would even be worth it for my system, or if something would perform the same on my rig, but at a lesser cost.

Any advice will be much appreciated. I am usually better informed on the current market than i currently am, but having started school these past couple months, I have fallen out of the system (knowledge of market wise, and another reason for why my list of considered GPUs is nonexistent).
3 answers Last reply
More about looking video card
  1. OC your quad core to hopefully ~3.6ghz and go with a single GTX580. A GTX580 SLI Would easily bottleneck your system.

Before you buy remember that ATI's newest cards our out within a day. You might as well wait before a final decision.
  2. Go with a GTX 580 if you want to spend the entire money, or the 570 if yo want something cheaper.Either way, you'll have to overclock that CPU.
  3. Not sure how to go about overclocking a cpu, but if it is not to hard would be willing to give it a try
Ask a new question

Read More

Graphics Cards Games Graphics