Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Which NIC & Slot combinations for max data transfer & internet surfing

Last response: in Components
May 16, 2011 1:38:54 PM

Internet Connection is "UPTO 1 Mbps". In which of the following case will the data transfer as well as the internet experience be fastest (all things being equal & the ADSL2 router connected to the):

1a. onboard 10/10/1000T LAN
1b. onboard USB 3.0

2a. 10/100T LAN card on the legacy PCI slot
2b. USB port of a Firewire-400 IEEE 13954a card on the PCI slot

3a. 10/100/100T LAN card on PCIe X16 Gen 2.0 card (if available and their cost)
3b. 10/100/100T LAN card on PCIe X1 Gen 2.0 card (if available and their cost)

Kindly indicate in decreasing (speed) order for both data transfer and internet speed.

Thanks in advance.
May 16, 2011 2:33:39 PM

genfin said:
Internet Connection is "UPTO 1 Mbps". In which of the following case will the data transfer as well as the internet experience be fastest (all things being equal & the ADSL2 router connected to the):....

Thanks in advance.

Honestly, with a 1Mbps connection, there really is no need to worry how you connect. The preferred method is onboard or a dedicated NIC. USB would have to run through another software layer iirc. Without knowing the motherboard you have, it would be hard to guess at any data paths. But, as I said, for a 1Mbps connection, you really don't have much to worry about. I have a 16Mbps connection with a 10/100/1000 onboard, and would guess at most a 2% difference if I went with a dedicated nic.

You can see a review of a "fancy" card here. But a Killer NIC is overkill for a 1Mbps connection....
m
l

Best solution

May 16, 2011 3:41:48 PM

Your internet experience will be limited by the slowest link in the chain.

This wil normally be the response time of the network and the web site at the remote end.

Internet traffic will not be hurt by even a 100mb connection.

Using the motherboard's integrated lan will be fine. If both your router, and the lan are capable of 100, then OK, but it really does not matter.

For the best internet experience, get a SSD. There are many small reads and writes associated with internet browsing. I found the internet to be quicker when I got one.
May 17, 2011 4:03:33 AM

Best answer selected by genfin.
m
l
May 17, 2011 4:04:33 AM

Thanks for your reply.
m
l
!