1gb, 80X Compact Flash card... What's "80X" mean?

Last response: in Digital Camera
February 3, 2005 12:17:47 AM

Does this mean that this particular Compact Flash card is 80 times faster for
transfers? What is the base line for X and who set it. Are CF cards that
don't promote their "X" rating really 1/80th as fast?
Anonymous
February 3, 2005 12:17:48 AM

> What is the base line for X and who set it

1x => 150 KB/sec data transfer rate ... first time I saw it was with
early CD devices.

> Does this mean that this particular Compact Flash card is 80­ times
faster
> for transfers?

80x implies a 12 MB/sec data transfer rate, but this is the fastest the
CARD can be accessed, you probably don't have a camera that can write
that fast. As an example I have several cards from 32x to 80x and with
a Canon 1D Mark II I can write them from 24.1x (40x card) to 25.3x (for
the 80x card), so doubling the card speed doesn't help much since the
camera is the slower device, tapping out at under 3.8 MB/sec.

> Are­ CF cards that don't promote their "X" rating really 1/80th
> as fast?

The slowest cards I've seen lately are 4x, the good ones from vendors
like Lexar and SanDisk are usually 40x, 66x, 80x etc. You would have
to look long and hard to find a 1x card.

This site has some excellent real-world measurements of actual cards in
current digital cameras, if your camera is on his list it's worth
comparing different card speeds ...
http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/multi_page.asp?cid=600...

Bill
Anonymous
February 3, 2005 12:17:48 AM

On 02 Feb 2005 21:17:47 GMT, nadcixelsyd@aol.com (NadCixelsyd) wrote:

>Does this mean that this particular Compact Flash card is 80 times faster for
>transfers? What is the base line for X and who set it. Are CF cards that
>don't promote their "X" rating really 1/80th as fast?

The baseline transfer speed for CF is 150KB/s indicated as 1X. In the
case of 40X the speed is 6.0 MB/sec.) and 80X equals 12MB/sec.

A card which was 1/80 as fast would be 1X.

"In this world, things are complicated and are decided
by many factors. We should look at problems from different
aspects, not from just one."

"On the Chungking Negotiations"
(October 17, 1945),
Selected Works, Vol. IV, p. 54.

Chairman Mao Tse-tung
Related resources
February 3, 2005 12:31:35 AM

No, its a ploy by the sellers.

they do it so that us plebs think ahhhhhh it must be mega fast when it
probably aint much different from a x4, which I also don't understand.

why don't they just give it to us straight in megapix per second or
something that simple

dj
Anonymous
February 3, 2005 12:49:00 AM

nadcixelsyd@aol.com (NadCixelsyd) wrote in

> Does this mean that this particular Compact Flash card is 80 times
> faster for transfers?

Than a 1X card, sure. At least theoretically, on a camera body or reader
that supports it.

> What is the base line for X and who set it.

It's a sort-of standard. 150KB/sec = an "X" is the most common I see used.

> Are CF cards that don't promote their "X" rating really 1/80th as
> fast?

It would take a lot of effort to get your hands on a 1x card these days.
Hell, I don't know if any were ever commercially released. You can probably
find one as slow as 6 or 8x if you really try. But it certainly is worth
looking up a review of a card you're considering buying and seeing just how
fast it can transfer...espcially if you have a fast body like the Canon
20D.
Anonymous
February 3, 2005 4:43:18 AM

In article <20050202161747.25470.00000298@mb-m13.aol.com>, nadcixelsyd@aol.com
says...

>Does this mean that this particular Compact Flash card is 80 times faster for
>transfers? What is the base line for X and who set it. Are CF cards that
>don't promote their "X" rating really 1/80th as fast?

Check out www.robgalbraith.com for the low down on compact flash cards. He has
done studies with all the major DSLRs and flash card performance. If the camera
has a "write accelerration feature than the new 80X cards will give a real
boost, the two major cards that have this are the Canon 20D and the Nikon D70.
I imagine the 1D MkII and the 1Ds MKII also have this feature. With older
camera designs there was more speed but in the 25-50% range over 40X card.
Check out the compact flash area of the site.

Tom
Anonymous
February 3, 2005 2:09:45 PM

http://www.robgalbraith.com/

and see his CF database test . You'll get the hang of it ;)

=bob=

"NadCixelsyd" <nadcixelsyd@aol.com> wrote in message
> Does this mean that this particular Compact Flash card is 80 times faster
> for
> transfers? What is the base line for X and who set it. Are CF cards that
> don't promote their "X" rating really 1/80th as fast?
February 3, 2005 2:09:46 PM

"NadCixelsyd" <nadcixelsyd@aol.com> wrote in message

> Does this mean that this particular Compact Flash card is 80 times faster
for transfers? What is the base line for X and who set it.
> Are CF cards that don't promote their "X" rating really 1/80th as fast?

Same as the speed ratings on CD and DVD drives, the benchmark is a 3.5"
floppy drive. So 80X faster than a 3.5" floppy drive, remember them?
!