SLI with AMD motherboard

samtheham1

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2010
Right now I have this motherboard:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813130274

I'm wondering if there's any way I can run nvidia's SLI using this AMD board. I thought about going with the intel board to run SLI because I use an nvidia card, but the price of intel over AMD is just a little too much for me. So if I can get SLI to run off of my mobo, how would I go about doing that?

Also, if I can't get it to run SLI, why is it not possible?

Each manufacturers has their own way to sell their product, this including motherboard. AMD board=only CF, NVIDIA board=only SLI.
Actually, you have a good mobo there, since it's only support CF then go with dual cards if you can't afford a single powerful/expensive card. :)

ragejg

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2010

Nope. There's a fair amount of enthusiasts out there using SLI on AMD chipset boards. Just requires a hack that from what I hear isn't too hard at all. And I haven't heard anything about these hacked setups running SLI badly.

And for what it's worth I have an nvidia chipset (nforce 980a) AMD motherboard with SLI, and it scales perfectly with two GTX 570s... for example, 90% in Far Cry 2 and 99% in Stone Giant.

sowexly

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2010
You should get the same results running this "hack" I was looking around for it myself, because I'm looking to buy Nvidia cards on my AMD chipset.

But then again in all possibility with this "hack" it allows any motherboard to run SLI or CF as long as it is physically possible (more then one PSIe slot etc) and should you PSU support x# of cards.

samtheham1

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2010
Yeah I've heard of this hack earlier and was asking mostly to hear how well it worked and was hoping that you guys could put out some comparisons between running an SLI setup on an intel board versus a hacked AMD board. I guess what I'd like to know is:

1. Is it easy to find and run the "hack"?

2. Does it have any effect on performance of the SLI setup? (already answered for the most part)

3. Are there consequences for running such a hack? Is it illegal? Can it cause problems in other areas of my system? Void warranties?

If anyone has any more detailed answers for these questions or just other general info about this, please let me know.

sowexly

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2010
There are different versions of it also, some are much easier to use then others.

I know as one example a version edits BIOs related info (but remember doing this is at your own risk)

He/she shouldn't have to do it, mine in non permanent and is os side only. I get an option start up if I want to use it or not before the os fully loads plus it works with vista fairly well.