Closed Solved

How to set up new configuration?

Hi everyone,

just replaced my ASUS M4N68T-M Motherboard with a ASUS P8Z68-V PRO GEN3 Motherboard alond with replacing the AM3 CPU (965) with an intel CPU (i7 2600k) also replaced 4gb ddr3 1333 ram with 8gb ddr3 1600 ram...
now I was wondering how I go about setting this up? I am a novice btw...
Do I set it up on a new HDD/SSD? and will I be able to get files off of my old HDD? If so thats fine, just advise me on how I would go about this :)
any feedback would be hugely appreciated.
cheers,
Jesse
18 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about configuration
  1. Read your motherboard manual and understand the board's layout. OK, now review it again, pay attention the motherboard layout diagram for the locations of the various pins and sockets.
    -- Generally you install the motherboard to the case using the stand-offs and screws to secure the board to the case.
    -- Then you install the CPU and the CPU heatsink/fan and attach the fan power connector to the CPU_FAN pins on the motherboard.
    -- Install the RAM, aligning the RAM pins to the DIMM sockets
    -- Install the SSD, HDDs, and Optical Drive(s) to the case/chassis.
    -- Install your other hardware, e.g. GPU, sound, etc.
    -- Install the PSU.
    -- Attach the 8-pin power lead to the CPU power socket.
    -- Attach the 24-pin power cable to the motherboard socket.
    -- Connect the PSU's power leads to the SSD/HDD, Optical drive, and the GPU.
    -- Attach the case fans to either the CASE_FAN power pins on the motherboard, or to MOLEX connectors, depending on the case fan power lead connectors.
    -- Attach the Front Panel Connectors to the motherboard front panel pins (for power, reset, HDD activity, speaker)
    -- Attach the Front panel HD speaker to the on-board sound connector on the motherboard.
    -- Attach the front panel USB2 cable(s) to the USB2 header(s) on the board.
    -- You are ready to power-on the system at this point.
    -- Use memtest86+ to test your RAM, each stick must pass separately and together. If either fails or both fail together, RMA them for replacement.
    -- Install your operating system.
    -- Instal you motherboard drivers/software from the motherboard installation disk.
    -- Install your GPU drivers/software from the installation disk or by downloading the latest drivers/software from the manufacturer's website, and installing those.

After you have got the system running properly (smooth, no BSODs, and with OS updates), you can install/connect your old HDD and move your files to a new HDD (cut/paste), and use your old HDD for backup/storage.
  2. treefrog07 said:
    Read your motherboard manual and understand the board's layout. OK, now review it again, pay attention the motherboard layout diagram for the locations of the various pins and sockets.
    -- Generally you install the motherboard to the case using the stand-offs and screws to secure the board to the case.
    -- Then you install the CPU and the CPU heatsink/fan and attach the fan power connector to the CPU_FAN pins on the motherboard.
    -- Install the RAM, aligning the RAM pins to the DIMM sockets
    -- Install the SSD, HDDs, and Optical Drive(s) to the case/chassis.
    -- Install your other hardware, e.g. GPU, sound, etc.
    -- Install the PSU.
    -- Attach the 8-pin power lead to the CPU power socket.
    -- Attach the 24-pin power cable to the motherboard socket.
    -- Connect the PSU's power leads to the SSD/HDD, Optical drive, and the GPU.
    -- Attach the case fans to either the CASE_FAN power pins on the motherboard, or to MOLEX connectors, depending on the case fan power lead connectors.
    -- Attach the Front Panel Connectors to the motherboard front panel pins (for power, reset, HDD activity, speaker)
    -- Attach the Front panel HD speaker to the on-board sound connector on the motherboard.
    -- Attach the front panel USB2 cable(s) to the USB2 header(s) on the board.
    -- You are ready to power-on the system at this point.
    -- Use memtest86+ to test your RAM, each stick must pass separately and together. If either fails or both fail together, RMA them for replacement.
    -- Install your operating system.
    -- Instal you motherboard drivers/software from the motherboard installation disk.
    -- Install your GPU drivers/software from the installation disk or by downloading the latest drivers/software from the manufacturer's website, and installing those.

After you have got the system running properly (smooth, no BSODs, and with OS updates), you can install/connect your old HDD and move your files to a new HDD (cut/paste), and use your old HDD for backup/storage.

Thanks for the reply :)
    I already have everything built, just the loading up windows screen crashed because I was trying to load it up with the same HDD I was using before I replaced those components. I'm assuming that is because all the drivers, registry etc. were intended for the other components (I swapped CPU manafacturers from AMD to Intel). I should have included that in the question sorry...
    however I intend on buying a new SSD or HDD to reinstall windows on and setting up all my drivers, after of which I was hoping to keep my old HDD and use it as a second Hard Drive for Media etc.
    will this work? cheers again for ya fast response :)
    Jesse
  3. Best answer
    buchananjesse said:
    Thanks for the reply :)
    I already have everything built, just the loading up windows screen crashed because I was trying to load it up with the same HDD I was using before I replaced those components. I'm assuming that is because all the drivers, registry etc. were intended for the other components (I swapped CPU manafacturers from AMD to Intel). I should have included that in the question sorry...
    however I intend on buying a new SSD or HDD to reinstall windows on and setting up all my drivers, after of which I was hoping to keep my old HDD and use it as a second Hard Drive for Media etc.
    will this work? cheers again for ya fast response :)
    Jesse

U need to perform a clean install, especially when CPU's are different .

Get an SSD for the system, to get max speed as HDD is not the best option anymore...

Yes use that HDD after u wipe it clean for your documents as well.
  4. SSD - W7 + all the programs + page file

HDD - partition 1 @ - photos, project and other files up to 5MB + Document folder
    HDD - partition 2 @ - music, and other files up to 30MB/per file.
    HDD - partition 3 @ whats left for files 30MB> videos and other files

To have a partitions, is to separate the system from the Doc. files, so in the case of corruption on the system drive, u don't loose the files, so that's the main reason to partition.

Move Your Libraries off of the system drive...
    http://www.tweakhound.com/windows7/tweaking/5.html
  5. nikorr said:
    U need to perform a clean install, especially when CPU's are different .

Get an SSD for the system, to get max speed as HDD is not the best option anymore...

Yes use that HDD after u wipe it clean for your documents as well.

Thanks man,
    yeah I think I'll get the Corsair 120Gb SSD...
    btw when reinstalling windows 7 will microsoft let me use the same registration key as I'm using the same computer?
    I really don't wanna buy another windows 7...
    hopefully they'll let me deactivate and reactivate over phone or something
  6. buchananjesse said:
    Thanks man,
    yeah I think I'll get the Corsair 120Gb SSD...
    btw when reinstalling windows 7 will microsoft let me use the same registration key as I'm using the same computer?
    I really don't wanna buy another windows 7...
    hopefully they'll let me deactivate and reactivate over phone or something

What's your licence? Retail or OEM?
  7. BTW, that Corsair looked fast on the paper, I just looked at it today.

Need to check the stats : ) I still run on Vertex2.
  8. nikorr said:
    What's your licence? Retail or OEM?

Retail I've got all the packaging still...
  9. buchananjesse said:
    Retail I've got all the packaging still...

Well, than u are perfectly fine. U can install it as many times u want and where u want.

That's why u have paid more, to have the option to install anywhere!
  10. yeah but I have already used the key in it for the motherboard I just took out...
    will it work again or will I need to ring up microsoft and get them to reactivate it?
    cheers for the support,
    Jesse
  11. OEM is limited to 1 motherboard, not permitting even 1 upgrade of the mobo and CPU. That's why people use OEM mostly on new builds.
  12. buchananjesse said:
    yeah but I have already used the key in it for the motherboard I just took out...
    will it work again or will I need to ring up microsoft and get them to reactivate it?
    cheers for the support,
    Jesse

U don't understand.

Retail comes with support and unlimited installs and activation's and reactivation's!

When u install again, u need to activate NOT during installation, but AFTER installation. It will keep prompting u for 30 days to activate, for u it will be just a few clicks away.
  13. nikorr said:
    U don't understand.

Retail comes with support and unlimited installs and activation's and reactivation's!

nice :D
    even though I forgot to deactivate before replacing?
    if so, awesome! I'm all set!
  14. buchananjesse said:
    nice :D
    even though I forgot to deactivate before replacing?
    if so, awesome! I'm all set!

U don't deactivate. MS does, when u activate your new install.
  15. nikorr said:
    U don't deactivate. MS does, when u activate your new install.

righto then,
    thanks again nikorr you're awesome!!
    :)
  16. Best answer selected by buchananjesse.
  17. You'r e welcome!
  18. This topic has been closed by Nikorr.
Ask a new question

Read More

Motherboards Asus