Sign in with
Your question
Closed

How to set up new configuration?

Last response: in Motherboards
January 17, 2012 1:31:13 AM

Hi everyone,

just replaced my ASUS M4N68T-M Motherboard with a ASUS P8Z68-V PRO GEN3 Motherboard alond with replacing the AM3 CPU (965) with an intel CPU (i7 2600k) also replaced 4gb ddr3 1333 ram with 8gb ddr3 1600 ram...
now I was wondering how I go about setting this up? I am a novice btw...
Do I set it up on a new HDD/SSD? and will I be able to get files off of my old HDD? If so thats fine, just advise me on how I would go about this :) 
any feedback would be hugely appreciated.
cheers,
Jesse

More about : set configuration

a c 78 V Motherboard
a b Ĉ ASUS
January 17, 2012 2:53:21 AM

Read your motherboard manual and understand the board's layout. OK, now review it again, pay attention the motherboard layout diagram for the locations of the various pins and sockets.
-- Generally you install the motherboard to the case using the stand-offs and screws to secure the board to the case.
-- Then you install the CPU and the CPU heatsink/fan and attach the fan power connector to the CPU_FAN pins on the motherboard.
-- Install the RAM, aligning the RAM pins to the DIMM sockets
-- Install the SSD, HDDs, and Optical Drive(s) to the case/chassis.
-- Install your other hardware, e.g. GPU, sound, etc.
-- Install the PSU.
-- Attach the 8-pin power lead to the CPU power socket.
-- Attach the 24-pin power cable to the motherboard socket.
-- Connect the PSU's power leads to the SSD/HDD, Optical drive, and the GPU.
-- Attach the case fans to either the CASE_FAN power pins on the motherboard, or to MOLEX connectors, depending on the case fan power lead connectors.
-- Attach the Front Panel Connectors to the motherboard front panel pins (for power, reset, HDD activity, speaker)
-- Attach the Front panel HD speaker to the on-board sound connector on the motherboard.
-- Attach the front panel USB2 cable(s) to the USB2 header(s) on the board.
-- You are ready to power-on the system at this point.
-- Use memtest86+ to test your RAM, each stick must pass separately and together. If either fails or both fail together, RMA them for replacement.
-- Install your operating system.
-- Instal you motherboard drivers/software from the motherboard installation disk.
-- Install your GPU drivers/software from the installation disk or by downloading the latest drivers/software from the manufacturer's website, and installing those.

After you have got the system running properly (smooth, no BSODs, and with OS updates), you can install/connect your old HDD and move your files to a new HDD (cut/paste), and use your old HDD for backup/storage.
January 17, 2012 3:13:51 AM

treefrog07 said:
Read your motherboard manual and understand the board's layout. OK, now review it again, pay attention the motherboard layout diagram for the locations of the various pins and sockets.
-- Generally you install the motherboard to the case using the stand-offs and screws to secure the board to the case.
-- Then you install the CPU and the CPU heatsink/fan and attach the fan power connector to the CPU_FAN pins on the motherboard.
-- Install the RAM, aligning the RAM pins to the DIMM sockets
-- Install the SSD, HDDs, and Optical Drive(s) to the case/chassis.
-- Install your other hardware, e.g. GPU, sound, etc.
-- Install the PSU.
-- Attach the 8-pin power lead to the CPU power socket.
-- Attach the 24-pin power cable to the motherboard socket.
-- Connect the PSU's power leads to the SSD/HDD, Optical drive, and the GPU.
-- Attach the case fans to either the CASE_FAN power pins on the motherboard, or to MOLEX connectors, depending on the case fan power lead connectors.
-- Attach the Front Panel Connectors to the motherboard front panel pins (for power, reset, HDD activity, speaker)
-- Attach the Front panel HD speaker to the on-board sound connector on the motherboard.
-- Attach the front panel USB2 cable(s) to the USB2 header(s) on the board.
-- You are ready to power-on the system at this point.
-- Use memtest86+ to test your RAM, each stick must pass separately and together. If either fails or both fail together, RMA them for replacement.
-- Install your operating system.
-- Instal you motherboard drivers/software from the motherboard installation disk.
-- Install your GPU drivers/software from the installation disk or by downloading the latest drivers/software from the manufacturer's website, and installing those.

After you have got the system running properly (smooth, no BSODs, and with OS updates), you can install/connect your old HDD and move your files to a new HDD (cut/paste), and use your old HDD for backup/storage.

Thanks for the reply :) 
I already have everything built, just the loading up windows screen crashed because I was trying to load it up with the same HDD I was using before I replaced those components. I'm assuming that is because all the drivers, registry etc. were intended for the other components (I swapped CPU manafacturers from AMD to Intel). I should have included that in the question sorry...
however I intend on buying a new SSD or HDD to reinstall windows on and setting up all my drivers, after of which I was hoping to keep my old HDD and use it as a second Hard Drive for Media etc.
will this work? cheers again for ya fast response :) 
Jesse
Related resources

Best solution

a c 328 V Motherboard
a b Ĉ ASUS
January 17, 2012 3:20:44 AM

buchananjesse said:
Thanks for the reply :) 
I already have everything built, just the loading up windows screen crashed because I was trying to load it up with the same HDD I was using before I replaced those components. I'm assuming that is because all the drivers, registry etc. were intended for the other components (I swapped CPU manafacturers from AMD to Intel). I should have included that in the question sorry...
however I intend on buying a new SSD or HDD to reinstall windows on and setting up all my drivers, after of which I was hoping to keep my old HDD and use it as a second Hard Drive for Media etc.
will this work? cheers again for ya fast response :) 
Jesse

U need to perform a clean install, especially when CPU's are different .

Get an SSD for the system, to get max speed as HDD is not the best option anymore...

Yes use that HDD after u wipe it clean for your documents as well.
a c 328 V Motherboard
a b Ĉ ASUS
January 17, 2012 3:24:03 AM

SSD - W7 + all the programs + page file

HDD - partition 1 @ - photos, project and other files up to 5MB + Document folder
HDD - partition 2 @ - music, and other files up to 30MB/per file.
HDD - partition 3 @ whats left for files 30MB> videos and other files

To have a partitions, is to separate the system from the Doc. files, so in the case of corruption on the system drive, u don't loose the files, so that's the main reason to partition.

Move Your Libraries off of the system drive...
http://www.tweakhound.com/windows7/tweaking/5.html
January 17, 2012 3:26:06 AM

nikorr said:
U need to perform a clean install, especially when CPU's are different .

Get an SSD for the system, to get max speed as HDD is not the best option anymore...

Yes use that HDD after u wipe it clean for your documents as well.

Thanks man,
yeah I think I'll get the Corsair 120Gb SSD...
btw when reinstalling windows 7 will microsoft let me use the same registration key as I'm using the same computer?
I really don't wanna buy another windows 7...
hopefully they'll let me deactivate and reactivate over phone or something
a c 328 V Motherboard
a b Ĉ ASUS
January 17, 2012 3:27:00 AM

buchananjesse said:
Thanks man,
yeah I think I'll get the Corsair 120Gb SSD...
btw when reinstalling windows 7 will microsoft let me use the same registration key as I'm using the same computer?
I really don't wanna buy another windows 7...
hopefully they'll let me deactivate and reactivate over phone or something

What's your licence? Retail or OEM?
a c 328 V Motherboard
a b Ĉ ASUS
January 17, 2012 3:28:41 AM

BTW, that Corsair looked fast on the paper, I just looked at it today.

Need to check the stats : ) I still run on Vertex2.
January 17, 2012 3:40:21 AM

nikorr said:
What's your licence? Retail or OEM?

Retail I've got all the packaging still...
a c 328 V Motherboard
a b Ĉ ASUS
January 17, 2012 3:45:41 AM

buchananjesse said:
Retail I've got all the packaging still...

Well, than u are perfectly fine. U can install it as many times u want and where u want.

That's why u have paid more, to have the option to install anywhere!
January 17, 2012 3:47:16 AM

yeah but I have already used the key in it for the motherboard I just took out...
will it work again or will I need to ring up microsoft and get them to reactivate it?
cheers for the support,
Jesse
a c 328 V Motherboard
a b Ĉ ASUS
January 17, 2012 3:47:28 AM

OEM is limited to 1 motherboard, not permitting even 1 upgrade of the mobo and CPU. That's why people use OEM mostly on new builds.
a c 328 V Motherboard
a b Ĉ ASUS
January 17, 2012 3:49:03 AM

buchananjesse said:
yeah but I have already used the key in it for the motherboard I just took out...
will it work again or will I need to ring up microsoft and get them to reactivate it?
cheers for the support,
Jesse

U don't understand.

Retail comes with support and unlimited installs and activation's and reactivation's!

When u install again, u need to activate NOT during installation, but AFTER installation. It will keep prompting u for 30 days to activate, for u it will be just a few clicks away.
January 17, 2012 3:51:18 AM

nikorr said:
U don't understand.

Retail comes with support and unlimited installs and activation's and reactivation's!

nice :D 
even though I forgot to deactivate before replacing?
if so, awesome! I'm all set!
a c 328 V Motherboard
a b Ĉ ASUS
January 17, 2012 3:52:14 AM

buchananjesse said:
nice :D 
even though I forgot to deactivate before replacing?
if so, awesome! I'm all set!

U don't deactivate. MS does, when u activate your new install.
January 17, 2012 3:54:09 AM

nikorr said:
U don't deactivate. MS does, when u activate your new install.

righto then,
thanks again nikorr you're awesome!!
:) 
January 17, 2012 3:54:38 AM

Best answer selected by buchananjesse.
a c 328 V Motherboard
a b Ĉ ASUS
January 17, 2012 3:57:27 AM

You'r e welcome!
a c 328 V Motherboard
a b Ĉ ASUS
January 17, 2012 3:57:36 AM