Mock Build: Maximizing a Micro Atx MB with the 3930k

kishow

Distinguished
Nov 24, 2011
I’ve been bored since the Asus challenge ended with no classes, and so I thought I would throw this out there. Just for grins, and with absolute free reign over MB specifications. My idea: Fit a crazy amount of power into a tiny box. Personally, I would love to see the editors at T.H. take the small form factor more seriously in their future builds. The build that they did with the Asus z68 micro Atx board was awesome. My build is slightly more aggressive. :D

Case:... read paragraph below...

I would build with Da Box from LAN-Gear, a small European operation with some really cool cases. Every other micro-atx cube-style case places the PSU right above the CPU leaving no room for adequate cooling. Luckily, with this niche case, that is avoided outright as the PSU mounts at the front of the case, allowing for ample room to fit a massive heat sink to cool the 3930k. The only issue would be the PSU clearing the video cards and I’m about 95% sure that they do. If it doesn’t clear, then use the far pci-e slot and turn this build into a single card build; still a monster in the end.

Case Pics

Processor: Intel i7-3930K
Motherboard: MSI X79MA-GD45 Micro Atx
RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws Z Series 16GB (4x4GB) DDR3 2133
Graphics Card: 2x Sapphire 7970 in Crossfire (Measuring approximately 11 inches long)
SSD: 2x Corsair Force Series 240GB in Raid 0
Power Supply: SeaSonic Platinum 1000W (Measures 6.3 inches long)
Cooling: Cooler Master 212 EVO +the $4.99 2011 bracket.
DVD Burner: Sony DVD-ROM $16.99

Price = more than what’s reasonable. Thermals would probably kill this build in reality. Perhaps T.H. editors could take this motif and put something together with a Thermaltake Lanbox Lite or a Lian Li Pc-v351b

Anyways let me know what you guys think.