Sign in with
Your question

ASUS P8P67 Pro and PCI Wireless Card Problem

Last response: in Motherboards
January 17, 2012 4:05:41 AM

Hello,
I have a ASUS P8P67 Pro new build and after the installation of a PCI Wireless Card, I cannot get connected to my router. The system says that the card is installed ok and working, but no adapters are available to search for wireless networks.

I noticed that there are yellow warning icons on 'PCI Simple Communications', but I don't know what that is.

Can someone help me?
a b Ĉ ASUS
a c 329 V Motherboard
January 17, 2012 4:12:33 AM

What PCI Wireless Card do u have?
m
l
a b Ĉ ASUS
a c 87 V Motherboard
January 17, 2012 5:07:18 AM

Those Yellow Markings show a conflict of hardware.
What you need to do is uninstall the device with the yellow triangle, by right clicking on the device in the device manager, and then scan for Hardware changes.
The OS will then automatically select the best drivers for the device in conflict and set it up without conflicts. It would be an added advantage if you were connected to the internet using a cable at the time so that you could get the latest drivers from Windows Update too.
After a install, it would be wiser to reboot even if the rig didn't ask you to, and then check if the triangles have disappeared. If they have , your hardware is ready to be used. go ahead and try it out.
m
l
Related resources
January 17, 2012 2:21:30 PM

The card is: 300Mbps Wireless N PCI Adapter TL-WN951N

This was installed on a new Windows 7 setup. I have uninstalled and installed the thing several times. This shows as installed on the device manager, the yellow icons are on PCI Simple Communications, which I assume is related to this, but I'm not sure. Even though the device manager shows the card as working properly and I've installed the latest drivers, it simply does not work. It cannot search for a wireless network because no adapters are available !!!, even though that is staring it in the face.

yes, I have booted several times and windows does recognize it, except when searching to connect to a wireless network. Is it perhaps related to the PCI Simple Communications yellow icons? What are those about? Is it a motherboard issue or a wireless card issue?

Thanks again.
m
l
a b Ĉ ASUS
a c 329 V Motherboard
January 17, 2012 2:43:50 PM

1. Power down your computer and unplug its power cord;
2. Open the case and locate an available PCI slot on the motherboard;
3. Insert the PCI Adapter into the PCI slot. Make sure that all of its pins are
touching the slot's contacts. You may have to apply a bit of pressure to slide the
adapter all the way in. After the adapter is firmly in place, secure its fastening
tab to your computer's chassis with a mounting screw;
4. Close the case and insert the power cable into the computer, then turn on the
computer.

--

Install the latest driver.
m
l
January 17, 2012 5:16:10 PM

Thanks for the replies. Yes, I am using that driver. There is no update since 2010, it's the same driver that was on CD, but I tried the one from the website too.

I also tried re-installing (hardware and software wise) the pci card, and like I said, windows says that the device is working properly, so I don't think there's any issues with card making contact properly or installation per se.

any other ideas?
m
l
a b Ĉ ASUS
a c 87 V Motherboard
January 18, 2012 2:55:41 AM

YEs, The card that you have installed is on the PCI bus, if you have a problem there, the yellow icons, it is going to disrupt the cards you have inserted in the slots.
Like I said before , uninstall the conflicted devices, meaning, the ones with the yellow icons, meaning the PCI Simple Communication, You don't need to do anything to the card right now. Just uninstall that PCI Communications Controller. and let windows reinstall it. Give a feed back after that.
m
l
January 19, 2012 3:06:40 AM

Ok, here's the update.

1. I plugged the PC to the router so I can get an internet connection.
2. Updated Windows 7 all drivers, all went well.
3. Uninstalled the Wireless card, removed from PCI slot, re-installed.
4. Uninstalled the pci communication devices with yellow icons.
5. Re-installed the wireless card.

I still have the same problem. Windows automatically shows the yellow icons again.

At this point I would say there's a problem with this card working on Windows 7.

thanks all for your help. I believe I"m going to return the card.
m
l
a b Ĉ ASUS
a c 87 V Motherboard
January 19, 2012 3:24:45 AM

I still don't think you've gone and done the things the right way.
Just leave it all plugged in.
Now uninstall the PCI Communications devices with yellow Icons. It will ask you if you want to remove the drivers too. Say yes.
Check and see if there are any 'Unknown Devices' in the Device Manager , they have a '?' Icon on them, uninstall them too.
Reboot the rig after the whole thing is done, let windows search and setup the new found devices from the Windows Update Site.
m
l
a b Ĉ ASUS
a c 329 V Motherboard
January 19, 2012 3:26:59 AM

ev777 said:
Ok, here's the update.

1. I plugged the PC to the router so I can get an internet connection.
2. Updated Windows 7 all drivers, all went well.
3. Uninstalled the Wireless card, removed from PCI slot, re-installed.
4. Uninstalled the pci communication devices with yellow icons.
5. Re-installed the wireless card.

I still have the same problem. Windows automatically shows the yellow icons again.

At this point I would say there's a problem with this card working on Windows 7.

thanks all for your help. I believe I"m going to return the card.

If u would be open to suggestion,

get Amped Wireless UA600 with Wireless Amplifier Power: 600mW.

I have it and it is great, much better than PCI, because it can use more power than PCI can offer.

Just from my own experience, I had a Linksys $50 PCI and it cannot compare to UA600.

It gets the power from 2 USB ports, will work with 1 as well, but because it has Wireless Amplifier Power: 600mW, it connects in 1sec. If the PC is coming from the sleep, I can browse i sec after log-in.

And the speed is now stable through the downloads and it doesn't disconnect at all.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
m
l
!