Sign in with
Your question

Need Card To Set Up 42 Inch TV As Monitor

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
December 14, 2010 4:28:01 PM

I just bought a new setup last night. Phenom X6 and a motherboard with with HDMI and DVI.

I am looking to get rid of my 2 computer monitors and move over to a 42 inch TV to use as 1 monitor.

I want to be able to set the resolution so that the screen will be big enough that I would have enought room to keep all of my programs and windows open at once.

I am assuming I need a new video card to do this since the Radeon I bought does not have HDMI out on it directly.

Can anyone help me with info on how to do this?

Thanks!

More about : card set inch monitor

a b U Graphics card
December 14, 2010 4:39:22 PM

need more info.

use of computer ie will there be gaming, graphics rendering, CAD or is this a workstation for web browsing and running light programs. if gaming what games

what resolution is your 42 " tv?

do you need CUDA?

what specific processor, motherboard do you have?

hwo much ram are you gonna put into it

what os will you be running

what is the power supply that will be handling the load?

what case are you using (to see if you have adequit ventilation for a high and card should you need one) ?

m
l
December 14, 2010 5:06:40 PM

I am open to using any resolution TV because I havent bought it yet. The computer will be used primarily for running my home business. I will be using a lot of browser windows, editing and writing content. Will be running many programs, video editing, etc. I also do some gaming on the weekends, primarily Warcraft.

I am not sure what CUDA is?

The specific processer is AMD Pehnom X6 1090T

Motherboard is a ASUS M4A88TD-V

I have already installed the RAM which i 8 gigs DDR

The power supply is a 650 Watt MK Power Black Series

I am not sure of the model of the case but its called "Cooler Master" and is well ventilated whith 2 spaces on the top for me to add more fans if needed.

Thanks again for the help
m
l
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
December 14, 2010 5:23:15 PM

nice system! that will not bottleneck any card out there that is good. what is your approximate budget?

as you play warcraft (assuming world of warcraft?) nvidia cards tend to preform better than ati/amd in this area however your motherboard (which is was a very nice pick) suports only crossfire not sli so if you want to do duel graphics cards down the line you're onyl going to be able to do this with ati/amd cards

your system looks very good so far good mobo good cpu and a good psu to power it. a gtx 460 would be a good fit the asus top (equipted with asus direct cu cooling option which is my personal fav cooling option out there) goes for around $200

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

in the same range you could get an asus direct cu ati/amd 6850 for $200

if you can spend mroe though you could move up from there. the ati/amd options allows for crossfire in the furute if you cwant to go that route :D 

if your buget is different than 200 bills though le tme knwo i'll find you a few more options. either of these card would do great for you at 1080p resolution in a tv

*fix link*

m
l
December 14, 2010 5:32:54 PM

$200 is right inside my budget, so I will check these out in more detail... So if i were to buy either one of these cards, I could plug a TV in with HDMI and use it as a monitor? It's that easy?

Is it essential to add more cooling?

Would the display settings be enough that I would have a lot of room on the TV screen to have a lot of windows and icons open?
m
l
a b U Graphics card
December 14, 2010 5:47:56 PM

yes. you could plus either one of those cards into the pci-express slot, then u connect the 6 pin connectors and it should post through the hdmi port .

in the 460's case you'll have to use the included dvi-hdmi adaptor but it won't degrade anything still digital.

neither card should require more cooling than a coolmaster case

you will have the full 42 " screen to play with so you can probably run 2 screens open at a time if you so desire. but depends how small you are willing to make the txt. I'd fell safe sayign it shoudl be fine for at least 2 screns comportably open though
m
l
December 14, 2010 5:55:54 PM

Would the Sapphire Radeon HD 6850 work the same? Is it as good as these other 2? When you say that I could connect them to the pci express slot and use the 6 pin connectors to post through the hdmi port, what do you mean by that?
m
l
a c 214 U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
December 14, 2010 5:56:45 PM

Isn't having 3 monitors resoultion bigger than any HDTV?Wouldn't that be more room to play with?
m
l
December 14, 2010 6:00:53 PM

The problem with 3 monitors for me is that I cant stand using even 2 monitors. Id rather have it all on 1 screen, with more room, than to use 2 or even 3 monitors..
m
l
a b U Graphics card
December 14, 2010 6:06:56 PM

yes, a saphire 6850 would work very well also, good brand, esp the toxic edition

it vents the hot air out of the case. the only reason i liek the asus cards is the construction is really top notch and i'd expect it to be one of the longerst lasting designs out there. sapphire is definatly among the top brands as well

as for the 6 pin connectors i meant the power connectors to the card. there will eb instructions with the cards. both requirre more power than they can draw through the pci-e slot. so they need 2 6 pin connectors which will be on your psu (you have two, they are red on your particular psu

and the adaptor was only on the gtx 460 the 6850 has a full size hdmi 1.4a port so no need for an adaptor and you cna bitstream the audio through the tv speakers :D 
m
l
December 14, 2010 6:13:28 PM

WOW. Lol. I am excited about this. I am going to order it now and I will be back with more questions when I get it in the mail tomorrow I am sure! :)  Thanks again
m
l
!